coolant in plug wells

DonaldSmith

47 DeSoto, out for Spring to-do items, discovered coolant in plug wells 1 (some) 2, 3 and 4.  Heater tube adjacent, but no noticeable leaks in tubing or hoses.  Will observe.  Alligator hood, besides, it doesn'r rain coolant.  Mystery - anybody see anything something like this before? 

973814881_coolantinplugwells4-6-18(1).JPG.e2860553daa5aedb0805f2fffcb9bace.JPG 

Good probable suspects.  Thanks. 

Head bolts are tight, and no sign of leakage under the heads. Mostly, I suspect the thermostat housing, since the bolt nearest the housing is rusted.  Maybe something to do with a coolant shower from the thermostat housing. 

I've never had the problem before, but I have been idling the engine this Spring, for maybe 15 minutes or so at a time. 

I'll keep the eagle eye on the situation, and issue a full report, or at least and executive summary.  

I had the same problem a couple of years ago - the car was overheating and the thermostat was stuck closed.  Some of the coolant was leaking out and found it’s way to the plug wells.  Changed the thermostat and the housing gasket, tightened everything up, problem solved.  

Thermostat gasket or hose to housing leak... common issue.