fuel gauge

hey guys trying to get my fuel gauge working having some trouble its a 40 plymouth truck, ive looked through some pages on here and didnt found any answers. i got a new sending unit it bench test fine with my ohm meter it goes from 73 to 10 ohms. my gauge works if i run the number 2 wire to the center post on sending unit and put a jumper wire from frame to ground lug on sender but it pegs to full i cant get it to read a correct reading anything i do either makes it go to full or read nothing ive tried every combination of hooking up wires that you can think of. im at a loss any help is appreciated, thanks.

It sounds like your new sender wasn't made to match your vehicle , perhaps a generic sender ? On the back of your fuel gauge you have three terminals ;  one marked IGN for voltage in , and two other terminals marked 1 and 2 that go to the sender in the tank .  On the original sender in the tank there would be two terminals marked 1 and 2 to match with the two terminals on the gauge . There would have been no ground terminal on the sender . Can the seller of the new sender inform you on how it is supposed to be hooked up ?  On a side note ;  I have seen two different gauges that didn't work until I filled the points . you can very gently look at the points and see if they are bright and clean . I don't know if any of this can be of  help to you .  

i figured it out late last night i got it working out of tank sporadically ended up being the number 2 wire is broken inside casing and gets a hit or miss connection ran a new wire from the gauge and it worked perfectly.