Numbers Matching Question

windsor48

Sorry if this has been addressed. I've searched through the forums but couldn't find the simple answer...

It's my understanding that VIN numbers and Engine Casting Numbers where only matched at the factory starting in the 60s. I've been asked several times if my 48' is numbers matching, but honestly never took the time to find out until about a week ago. 

From what I've read; you can match the engine casting number to a general timeline that can be matched to vehicle production but really there isn't a way to say that specific motor came from that car (in the case of 40s era Chryslers). 

Is this correct?

I believe you can still get a copy of the build card from Chrysler Historical. The one for my '33 Plymouth shows the serial number, engine number and body number. Turns out that my car is "numbers matching". But I don't think that any judged event by AACA or Plymouth Owners Club, etc. care about that prior to the muscle car era. They only care if the engine is the correct year for the car.

Todd you are correct on the AACA part about the engine numbers and vin on the car.  The judges are not permitted to get into the engine compartment to verify the number of the engine and then ion the serial number.  Basically they are looking to see if the car has the period correct equipment and that the car is driven onto the show field.  So you could have a perfectly restored frame and body and interior work done and the engine could smoke and  and nor run smoothly just so it looks correct.

Not sure on the Chrysler Historical question since the museum has closed.  I have seen cars with the incorrect engine number in them at Hershey.

Rich Hartung

1 hour ago, windsor48 said:

Sorry if this has been addressed. I've searched through the forums but couldn't find the simple answer...

It's my understanding that VIN numbers and Engine Casting Numbers where only matched at the factory starting in the 60s. I've been asked several times if my 48' is numbers matching, but honestly never took the time to find out until about a week ago. 

From what I've read; you can match the engine casting number to a general timeline that can be matched to vehicle production but really there isn't a way to say that specific motor came from that car (in the case of 40s era Chryslers). 

Is this correct?

Yes,and no. Depends on the manufacturer. Some (most?) didn't even use engine numbers.

Sometimes it might even depend on the model and year of the car or truck.

How far do people go with numbers matching? So far today I've matched engine, carburetor, generator, and starter to period specific. I'm pretty confident they are original to the car. I'm was mostly doing this out of curiosity to see how much Frankenstein I have but it doesn't appear to bad... 

12 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

IMO numbers matching wouldn't add much to the value of these cars. 

I agree it doesn't seem to. Interesting that some eras it's a HUGE DEAL but in this case it's not. It's still nice to have though... ;)

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 10:19 AM, desoto1939 said:

Todd you are correct on the AACA part about the engine numbers and vin on the car.  The judges are not permitted to get into the engine compartment to verify the number of the engine and then ion the serial number.  Basically they are looking to see if the car has the period correct equipment and that the car is driven onto the show field.  So you could have a perfectly restored frame and body and interior work done and the engine could smoke and  and nor run smoothly just so it looks correct.

Not sure on the Chrysler Historical question since the museum has closed.  I have seen cars with the incorrect engine number in them at Hershey.

Rich Hartung

The historical services were separate from the museum, although they were in the same building for awhile.   The cars have been moved to the old Viper/Prowler plant but the historical services are still going.  They do not give the letter with all the information, right now, but they will supply the build record with all the necessary information.