engine rebuilding parts

I've decided that it's time to have a complete engine rebuild.  The engine that is currently in my truck is sounding worse and worse and the oil pressure drops off after it's hot. I enjoy driving this old truck so much that I want to have a good reliable engine that I won't be afraid to take anywhere.   I have the engine , a 1952 plymouth 218, that came with the truck when I got it.  The previous owner had spun the rod bearing on no.1 and parked the truck in a field 40 years ago.  The engine is not frozen,  cylinders look pretty good and the crank looks much better than the engine that I am currently using.  The crank on this original engine had been turned  and contains .030 rod bearings,  I'm sure that they will have to clean up the crank especially no.1 rod journal.  

My question is about parts sources.  The engine builder is a little concerned about availability.  I have dealt with Roberts and Burnbaums on many occasions, no complaints about either.  I also see that Clegg engine parts shows complete rebuild kits, as does Egge and Kanter.  I also have a parts list from Vintage Power Wagon.  I am wondering if anyone has any comments or favorite parts sources, I would hope for a quality rebuild, but don't wish to spend more money than necessary.

As always, thanks for your help

Bill

Rockauto sells pretty much everything you should need, with exception of a new timing gear/chain set.  I find them a lot cheaper then buying from specialty stores and usually better brand parts.  I would first find out how good/bad the 218 is at whoever you plan to do your machine work.

Thanks, I forgot Rock Auto, I've gotten a bunch of things from them in the past.  I'll take a look.   I will get the engine to the engine builder and have them tear it down to see if it's viable before I buy any parts,  I also have the engine that is currently in the truck,  so hopefully I should be able to get one good one out of the two.

Bill

Terrill Machine has everything you need and is reasonably priced and ships the next day.

Egge also has the parts ( make sure they are in stock... they source some of they’re parts from Kanter). I had to wait several weeks for my order.

vintage power wagon is overpriced.

3 hours ago, Mike36 said:

After spinning a bearing, is the block usable?

crank or cam bearing? I believe typically a crank bearing wrecks the crankshaft not the block. Of course with anything like that you'll have to inspect and measure carefully!

4 hours ago, Mike36 said:

After spinning a bearing, is the block usable?

I think he said a rod bearing, so block shouldn't be involved in the carnage.

OP:  after you determine exactly what you need, don't forget eBay.  I see lots of NOS and other parts there.  Of course, it's not a good source if you need a part immediately.  But, if you can wait and watch, there are some deals on occasion.

Edited by kencombs

It was a rod bearing that spun, so I'm sure that the rod is toast, but the other bearings look good.  I took the engine over to the rebuilder this morning, so see what he says. I know he has a crankshaft machine and if  he can weld up a journal and turn it back down to size, I'm not sure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I believe that he orders from Egge parts for some of his builds.

Bill

On 5/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, bosworth said:

so I'm sure that the rod is toast

Rods can be resized if not to far gone.

The machine shop will have a tool that grinds some metal off of both the rod end and the cap. Then the rod and cap are bolted together and bored? Ground? back to the proper bore and round again.

Most can be saved.

Best of luck with a repair!

DJ

It would be very nice to save the rod,  I don't know what they cost, might be less than the labor,  but I will be sure to ask,

thanks!

Bill