Photos in the classified

Cause I end up paying for the bandwidth consumed and some abuse the privilege. By abusing I mean using this site to host their images for other things like craiglist ads or ebay listing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

Cause I end up paying for the bandwidth consumed and some abuse the privilege. By abusing I mean using this site to host their images for other things like craiglist ads or ebay listing. 

When a posting with photos is quoted all photos are re-posted. Does this also consume bandwidth? I usually make the effort to delete all photos when I quote a posting as there is no need to see the photos again. 

6 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

When a posting with photos is quoted all photos are re-posted. Does this also consume bandwidth? I usually make the effort to delete all photos when I quote a posting as there is no need to see the photos again. 

They get cached locally on your computer. Does improve readability in deleting them from quoted sections. 

Thanks for the explanation. It seems like in many ways of life we get punished for the actions of a very small percentage of the people. 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:14 AM, P15-D24 said:

Would you feel abused if one were to insert photos hosted elsewhere? Then those re-posted photos would be using up somebody else's bandwidth. Let's say I host my photos at Google, Flickr, imgur or other, would that end up costing you money?images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaPbXGGLOzdLGjSdE7N-_

8 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

Would you feel abused if one were to insert photos hosted elsewhere? Then those re-posted photos would be using up somebody else's bandwidth. Let's say I host my photos at Google, Flickr, imgur or other, would that end up costing you money?images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaPbXGGLOzdLGjSdE7N-_

It started that way then everyone figured they could post pictures anytime and just ignore the rules. The whole classified section has been problematic over the years because people expect me to manage ads, delete old ads, get in the middle of their business deals when they go sideways. I've gotten some pretty nasty emails from people who were mad cause they followed up on an old ad and the product was no longer available. And it burns resources and time and the site gets zero revenue from the exercise. If I could figure out an easy way to make ads with a charge, I then would allow pics and links and make it more of a real business transaction. 

• Like 2

Oh, nooo, I wouldn't want to get in the middle of any deals ?

You could certainly setup a simple payment gateway. Collecting a nominal fee would help keep things on the up and up.

So, you didn't answer my question?

FWIW I host a hundred gigabytes of files or more on Amazon S3 that costs me a few bucks a month.

I think you do an amazing job keeping this thing updated and running ?

How would anyone who doesn't have their photos hosted elsewhere know the difference? 

I would see your photos and think it was ok to post photos...... unless there was a "block" of some sort with an explanation.

man

Actually I did answer it: "It started that way then everyone figured they could post pictures anytime and just ignore the rules".  I originally allowed externally posted photos. And to Brent's point a lot of members don't really get the whole external posting concept. Most individual hosting packages also provide some space for storing pic on a server but many don't understand the technical steps needed. Instead, I made a decision early on to pay for some storage to make it easy for members to add pic to threads. I think it was the correct idea, but I'm always getting request for more space to post on threads. 

Their is a third party package that would allow me to set up a ebay like classified area, including payment management. Just seems like a lot of work for little return and the possibility of a lot of headaches.  

I'm just happy and very appreciative that we have this fantastic forum and along with it the opportunity to have a classifieds section to buy and sell from. We all get to enjoy this forum and all its features at no cost. I am a member of a couple of reenacting forums where sellers are required to donate a small portion of their sale to help with the costs and effort of running and maintaining the forum. Ads don't need photos, if a person is interested in something its no hardship at all to ask the seller for some photos to be sent by email or what have you.  This is a really great forum with awesome people, I just wish I lived closer so I could participate in the get togethers and such.. Administrators and moderators thanks for all you do, I'm sure it is a lot of work 

John 

Edited by John Rogers

I totally agree we should all follow the rules or just don’t use the site. I am sorry for stirring the pot on this subject but I just didn’t know why we couldn’t post pictures. 

Keep up the great work 

13 hours ago, Todd B said:

I totally agree we should all follow the rules or just don’t use the site. I am sorry for stirring the pot on this subject but I just didn’t know why we couldn’t post pictures. 

Keep up the great work 

Your such a trouble maker! First, bailed out at the "Q" and now this..... when will the madness stop!  LOL

i like watching the moderators catch those who sneak in a photo....

reminds me of the "soup nazi" on Seinfeld.... "no-photos-for-you!" ?

keep up up the good work everyone and more importantly "keep on truckin' 

• Like 2