Large hole in floor

greg g

9 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

that is odd as the 53 could have come with it from the factory. Did you go from plain standard 3 spd to overdrive?

No i had back half of a overdrive transmission added to my hydrive by george asch. Im guessing the floor pan was different in the hydrive cars.

So this am I took my coupe over to the dealership where I work occasionally.  Wanted to put the car up on the lift check lube levels, make sure all the bolts were tight and the wires up and out of the way. Everything √ out so I took her out on the highway.  My cut in speed seems to be a bit high,around 40 instead of the 30 to 35 the service docs mention, but for my purposes that's fine cut out seems good at 30 or so.  So for a seat of the pants impression it seems to work well.  As a reference, the car has 4.11's, 225 75r 15 tires on the rear with a 28.3 inch diameter.  This calculated to 3280 rpm at 62, 65 indicated. The car had a sweet spot, you could tell be engine noise and exhaust note of 45 to 50 mph.  Kinda like a good saddle horse at an easy gallop.  Efficient without being tiring and comfortable for the rider. That speed calculated to around 2500 rpm. Good all day long with more available if wanted. 

With the od,that sweet spot has moved up to 60/65 indicated.  If that works out to that same 2400 to 2600 on the highway color me happy. Relaxed gait with a lot in reserve.

19 hours ago, greg g said:

How does that hydrive setup work with the od?  Do you automatically get a split shift of second gear, before it shifts to high?

The hydrive is not self shifting.  It just is geared and has the tourque convertor so you can stop in third with out using the clutch and take off again clutch free.   I use it in two ways.  Keep it in 2nd to help with the take off speed and use the overdrive to get a little more top end (mostly used in town).  Or start out in third and use the overdrive to cruise at highway speeds.

I almost never shift gears and first is rarely used.

10 minutes ago, p24-1953 said:

The hydrive is not self shifting.  It just is geared and has the tourque convertor so you can stop in third with out using the clutch and take off again clutch free.   I use it in two ways.  Keep it in 2nd to help with the take off speed and use the overdrive to get a little more top end (mostly used in town).  Or start out in third and use the overdrive to cruise at highway speeds.

I almost never shift gears and first is rarely used.

What is really amazing is that Mopar didn't dominate car sales in snow country.