started on the 55 pontiac

casper50

• 1 month later...

Haven't been working on the 55 in a while.  Had to go down to my son's and spent 4 weeks finishing his basement.  1800 square feet.  Still have to go back on 2 June to finish.  I've also been getting next winters firewood done and have pulled up my oak flooring, planed the old finish off, relayed to get rid of the shrinkage cracks, sanded and am finally putting finish on.  Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be back on it around the end of June.

IMG_2268.jpg

First time I've had time to work on the Pontiac in 2 1/2 months. I'm not going to be able to work on it for another 3 or 4 weeks but after that I should have free time again.

• 2 months later...

Finally got some time to start and break in the rebuilt engine.  Small things popped up. Leaking fuel line, trans leaking at the front will have to pull and reseal, a few minutes after I ended the video the top water hose popped off spraying antifreeze everywhere. Lol Trials and tribulations.

https://youtu.be/N1r38056oNU

• 1 month later...

Very nice work. I wouldn't worry about door gaps as what you have done is probably better than it was coming from the factory. Old cars, even when new, never hat the fit and finish of today's cars.

Your project is moving right along and I look forward to future updates.

Edited by RobertKB

I'm reinstalling the front sheet metal getting ready to paint.  Have to align the hood but am having problems with the hood latch.  It goes into the hole/slot perfectly and the latch and safety catch function well.  The problem is when shut and I lift on the hood only it will raise in front 1.5" until the safety catch catches.  What keeps the hood down snug?  A couple of photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Scored on a parts car near my home today.  Only 30 miles from home.  Got the windshield, left rear quarter window, the long one, found the spare wheel cover with all the trim, couldn't even find one of those on line.  Also got some small parts.  Will save big time on the glass.

21 hours ago, casper50 said:

Scored on a parts car near my home today.  Only 30 miles from home.  Got the windshield, left rear quarter window, the long one, found the spare wheel cover with all the trim, couldn't even find one of those on line.  Also got some small parts.  Will save big time on the glass.

Sounds like you scored big. Lucky day! I found parts I have searched high and low for through pure luck and quite close to home and when least expected. Do you believe in Karma?:lol:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, casper50 said:

Hope it's good karma.  Also scored the driveshaft as the one that I have is 2" too long.  It's for a Star Chief not the Chieftain.

It would be good karma! I am amazed at how "hard to find" parts can suddenly appear close to home. However, for the cars I have, parts cars are getting harder and harder to find. While doing my '51 Dodge D39 business coupe project, I only found one parts car and it was a 4-door sedan. It still had most of the parts I was looking for and the price was right....free!

This is the parts car. It had sat on the ground without any wheels on for so long that it had sunk into the ground. I needed a rear bumper bracket so had my friend help me dig it out. The owner then brought a tractor and lifted the back end up which we blocked very carefully. When we were done, we couldn't close the doors. Assuming the frame was so rotten that it was damaged when lifted. I still amazingly got a lot of good smaller parts I needed for my project.

I'm thinking I might go back one day and pull the last few remaining useful parts off it as possible spares in the future or for someone else to use if needed. I would donate any parts I got from it as they would be free to me. It is a Canadian Dodge so virtually everything is inter changeable with a Plymouth.

DSCN0088.JPG.c08e8578eaaf210dd1b705a5bf3ddd70.JPG

DSCN0087.JPG.6be68989da4d2a128e8b4b4ca9d39c93.JPG

DSCN0089.JPG.de68832cfd249d85531ba0db4bfc1526.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1