Fuel pump questions on an a 53 Coronet

martin53

Finally got my Coronet running and driving but my fuel pump decided to go out. Just wondering where I could find a new fuel pump or a rebuild kit for the 241 hemi. I also heard that you could take a 318 or 340 fuel pump and add a spacer to make it work. Anyone on here ever done it. 

Hello,

I have a 55 Dodge with a 270 Hemi, which is the same block as a 241. I went through NAPA for my fuel pump. I also believe Andy Bernbaum has them as well.

Go Luck!

that would not be unheard of for sure...while I have not done that. if the mounting pattern is the same. arm position high and low would be correct then the thing left to check would be the position it would ride on the cam for full pump travel....this should be easily measured by yourself and if needed, an appropriate spacer made...possibly a blanking plate would be the beginning of a spacer...

personally I would blank it and opt for an electric model that you can get across the counter any time night or day

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

24 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

You could also contact Antique Auto Parts Cellar, (a.k.a. Then-and-Now Automotive) for a rebuild kit for your existing pump. They are good quality parts that will hold up to today's gasoline's. http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

VERY good advice. Be VERY careful when buying NOS fuel pump rebuild kits because the old diaphragms won't stand up to ethanol.

• Like 1

Then and Now supplies quality rubber parts that are to be used with ethanol fuel. NOS are going to most likely fail.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:36 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

that would not be unheard of for sure...while I have not done that. if the mounting pattern is the same. arm position high and low would be correct then the thing left to check would be the position it would ride on the cam for full pump travel....this should be easily measured by yourself and if needed, an appropriate spacer made...possibly a blanking plate would be the beginning of a spacer...

personally I would blank it and opt for an electric model that you can get across the counter any time night or day

So I ended up getting a 6v electric pump. It's a 5-8 psi. I'm going to wire it up sometime tonight or tomorrow. Alot cheaper than the mechanical pump.