Panic or Push On... hole in frame rail!

windsor48

So... wasn't caused by rust. Literally beat on every part of the rail with a hammer to check. Not sure how I haven't seen this before.  Looks like a puncture and peeled back. I've been spending to much of my time under the hood and fixing the interior I guess.

Is this a significant structural thing? I know if rust was involved the integrity of the entire rail would be in question but has anyone had exerience with non-rust caused holes?? 

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Nothing to panic about. Hammer it out and weld it up,or cut a piece to fit and weld it in place.

• Like 4

Yup.. While GM was messing with tophat frames and Ford had a similar style frame. Mopar was using boxed frames so your frame is still ok even the way it is. But. Cut/weld/patch and be on your way.. ( disconnect battery for sure with pos ground )

I agree with all the above statements but I do have a question as I don't have any experience in welding on assembled cars because they are usually disassembled when I weld on them. Should anything else other than the battery be disconnected when welding on these old cars, like gauges, clocks, sending units or relays?

My experience has been to disconnect the battery, have the battery cables where they don't touch anything. Make sure there are no fumes, flammable sources, fabrics, grease, etc. Have an extinguisher ready just in case.  Use your own judgement, be safe. This is how I roll, may not be for everyone.

Muffler shops that I've seen don't even disconnect the battery when welding tail pipes. 

Thats definately not caused by rust, the cars run over something thats been jammed up into the frame, cut into it and torn it back..........considering where this has appeared to start from, the edge of the frame I'm amazed that there isn't more damage such as dents or bending on the frame, whatever did this must have hit at the right angle and maybe where a hole was or something............theres no other marks or damage anywhere else along the frame or suspension?..........just noticed in the pics that there appears to be a round object inside the curled piece of frame steel........what is it?.................as for repairs, yep, disconnect both battery cables, either straighten the damaged piece or make a piece to suit and weld it in, as it seems to be more or less under the rear floor area I'd make sure that theres no flammable stuff like carpet, body deadener etc to catch fire..........andyd     

22 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Thats definately not caused by rust, the cars run over something thats been jammed up into the frame, cut into it and torn it back..........considering where this has appeared to start from, the edge of the frame I'm amazed that there isn't more damage such as dents or bending on the frame, whatever did this must have hit at the right angle and maybe where a hole was or something............theres no other marks or damage anywhere else along the frame or suspension?..........just noticed in the pics that there appears to be a round object inside the curled piece of frame steel........what is it?.................as for repairs, yep, disconnect both battery cables, either straighten the damaged piece or make a piece to suit and weld it in, as it seems to be more or less under the rear floor area I'd make sure that theres no flammable stuff like carpet, body deadener etc to catch fire..........andyd     

I can't find any other damage. Nothing is inside the curdled piece, the pulled back part rolled over itself twice. 

Severe road rash trauma!

Steel piling in the ground or rail bar post cut off... have seen that.