So whattya think of this--P18 with a /6

drpreposterous

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/1949-plymouth-3-window-coupe/6555306237.html

Let me start by saying I'm no fan of the dash treatment or seats in this. As for the Slant Six? Well, at least it's not an SBC.  

But those things said, do you think my mechanic (who has worked on several carbureted 60s-70s rides for me) would have trouble servicing this baby?

Your input appreciated.

00C0C_9d1TUIfE6eS_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_w34isSZSS5_1200x900.jpg

00h0h_kCesOPmISXO_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_1tV2s4aq627_1200x900.jpg

00S0S_jQyy8HYQWHJ_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_k64fQygcJSM_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_55SQGQIFo2M_1200x900.jpg

00W0W_hbkBzMzqS7_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_23V1Cdx9vxr_1200x900.jpg

00303_gvOaOkSz9g5_1200x900.jpg

00606_lb7eYHzVVRh_1200x900.jpg

01414_3Q3dfLwZmZb_1200x900.jpg

Looks like the streetrod crew got ahold of it. Has it been clipped?  What radiator is in it?  /6 is a good engine, not much on power but it will run forever. You are correct though, better than a SBC. 

the dash isn’t too bad, better colors or 1 color would make a huge improvement. 

Servicing it wouldn’t be much different than a mid 60’s Valiant. 

That Slant 6 fits like a glove.

Its a Mopar 6 cylinder and that's what counts...

Hopped Slants can kick a lot of V8 A$$...

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

I would ssy that's about a 3,500 dollar overpriced P-17.  Also, unless someone here actually knows your mechanic and his abilities, we can't say 100% if he can wotk on it for you.

Edited by allbizz49

It's a weird middle ground with that car.. 3w coupe appeals to street rod guys but the /6 does not ( in general ). The /6 appeals to some stock liking people but the rest of the car does not.. So it's not particularly valuable because anyone interested at all will want to make changes for appeal.

All in all, ill fitting junkyard seats, with cardboard door panels. The front wheel does not fit quite right in the opening. It's been clipped or straight frame swap and something isn't right. The wheels are '01-'03 Ford Ranger 15x7 chrome steel wheels. Just what you would find cheap in a junkyard... There's lots of little details that tell it's a bit of a hack if you look close. So caveat emptor

• Like 1

Interesting , looks like clip and all from the 74. No heat, don't like the long heater hose by pass. And don't like the front wheel looks. When the slant was put in mine , used a diplomat Doner car. Used whole drive train , no sub frame. Think there's pics in my signature. I think I get more compliments than if it had a v 8.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 51cambridge said:

Interesting , looks like clip and all from the 74. No heat, don't like the long heater hose by pass. And don't like the front wheel looks. When the slant was put in mine , used a diplomat Doner car. Used whole drive train , no sub frame. Think there's pics in my signature. I think I get more compliments than if it had a v 8.

Well tell everyone how it performs.

Highway speeds, acceleration from a dead stop etc?

Did you drive your car with a flattie first?

It was built by a 74 year old guy that's been building cars for years , the Studebaker speedster in one of those pics he finished at 80 yr old. The slant isn't that fast, never drove a flathead. Builder said the slant had more power. I'd say the most fun is on their highway, loves 65 /75 mph , 70 is the sweet spot.

16 hours ago, matt167 said:

It's a weird middle ground with that car.. 3w coupe appeals to street rod guys but the /6 does not ( in general ). The /6 appeals to some stock liking people but the rest of the car does not.. So it's not particularly valuable because anyone interested at all will want to make changes for appeal.

All in all, ill fitting junkyard seats, with cardboard door panels. The front wheel does not fit quite right in the opening. It's been clipped or straight frame swap and something isn't right. The wheels are '01-'03 Ford Ranger 15x7 chrome steel wheels. Just what you would find cheap in a junkyard... There's lots of little details that tell it's a bit of a hack if you look close. So caveat emptor

I agree with your assessment 100%. 

Lack of good taste and judgment IHMO. Where did that steering wheel come from?

• Haha 1

I dont know you Guys, maybe your being a bit harsh on the builder. 

The cars running and driving.

Those seats are possibly more comfortable than a stock bench seat.

Is tbe Shrine Circus coming to town this Spring?

At least its burning gas in a Mopar powered by Mopar...lol

While that is true, there are questionable safety aspects with the frame.  Lots of running/ driving cars shouldn't due to to poor workmanship. It's something we face with this hobby when dealing with modified vehicles

looking at the engine bay shot it looks like the inner fender has been "worked on", from that shot I would guess it is not a stock suspension. I would guess some form a GM front frame has been transplanted.

I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole. Front wheels alone put me off. Whoever clipped it or put a new frame under it didn't do it right. Makes me question safety immediately. Steering wheel is horrid and front seats not much better. Build quality to me would definitely be suspect. To me the car has been ruined. Sorry to rain on your parade but you did ask what we thought. As mentioned above Caveat Emptor.

Edited by RobertKB

20 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole. Front wheels alone put me off. Whoever clipped it or put a new frame under it didn't do it right. Makes me question safety immediately. Steering wheel is horrid and front seats not much better. Build quality to me would definitely be suspect.  To me the car has been ruined. Sorry to rain on your parade but as mentioned above Caveat Emptor.

Robert just drive it into a wall and it will align those front fender openings.

Anything could be undone, a PITA, fix the clip, stock type wheels or chrome reverse and baby moons. Redo interior and install different seat for the front..

Nothing wrong with the Slant 6 and A904 trans though...the body seems solid and straight

as there are no pictures of the frame to ascertain that indeed a clip was installed....the position of the front wheel and its registration to the fender opening reflects the positive offset wheel retrofitted to the vehicle....steering wheels screams A-body for the era of the donor car...

Fargo makes a good point, all old cars are project cars, especially ones that have been modified.  Take a good close look at the car, note what you like, note what you need to change for safety and what you want to change for aesthetics.  Estimate the cost of your changes and make an offer on the car if it looks worth the effort to you.  On the plus side you will have something you can drive an enjoy while you make your updates as long as the car is safe.

If it does not look like it's worth the effort then walk away. 

On the plus side from the replies you got  from this bunch of curmudgeons you know how the car will be received when you show up at your first show.  :-)

On 2/19/2017 at 6:39 PM, knuckleharley said:

I sure do love that Seafoam Green. That's the color my 48 Ply coupe is painted,and that is the color it will be repainted.

Thanks, painted in 1968

Interesting car..........I suppose I shouldn't talk as I had a 1940 Oz Dodge Coupe, sold it then was engaged by the new owner to install an Oz 265 Hemi 6 from an Oz 1972 Valiant......had to recess the firewall about 3" and various other mods although was able to use the vented disc brake setup I designed for my own 1940 Dodge Sedan on the Coupe........ended up buying the car back, installed a 302 Cleveland and FMX with an 8 3&4 68 Oz Dodge diff.......then ended up selling the car again in the mid 80's and lost track of it...heres a pic taken on the day it left.......and a pic of my car, not taken by me, that appeared in an Oz magazine a couple of yrs after I originally purchased it.....note the 4dr sedan front doors used on these Oz coupes.........andyd.       

1940DodgePic3.jpg

DodgeStoryCustomRodder1972.jpg