Rear end choices for the Airflow

austinsailor

In the quest to make the 36 Desoto Airflow a daily driver, it's been suggested I do a a rear end swap. Seems reasonable, get the correct gearing and disk brakes, plus the E brake.

so, since it seems someone here can always come up with the info needed, what rear would give me 58" side to side from the wheel mounting surface, disk brakes and a low 3: something gear ratio? 3:23 or there  abouts? I'm not concerned with spring mounts or shock mounts, I can fix that. 

i have another challenge on the front disk brake. Rusty Hope can only provide a kit if I have my spindles machined to a smaller diameter. I'm a little reluctant to do that. Anyone have other thoughts? Surely there are other 30's Chrysler or Desoto conversions.

Scarebird does not list a kit, but perhaps he can make something. I know that he adds models by request and help/ supplying sample spindles if needed, and his kits use new specially made hubs. He goes back to '37, but a '36 Airflow being a revolutionary car might have '37-9 brakes?

As for a rear, Cherokee, Ranger and Explorer rears are all around the same width. But getting any of them in a 3.23 will be a challange. 4cyl Rangers are going to have 3.73 or 4.11 and the V6 are mostly 4x4 with the same gear ratio's. They exist though.

A Falcon/ Mustang 7 1/4" 6cyl rear or even an 8" V8 ( you will pay dearly for the 8" ) will work too

Is your current lug pattern 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5?  If you look for early Falcon or Mustang 8” rear axles with tapered axle tubes, the price is low because of the small tubes but plenty strong for a flathead. I put one in my 49. 

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

5 on 5 is a no brainer...later model Mopar running these.  Look to the Jeep...they also have some very attractive wheels in steel and alloy available as 5 x 5 are on other Mopars as well the wheel options have increased.   As these modern wheels will be positive offset wheels, you will have to know you original flange to flange,. account for the inset of the offset wheel and then apply an added with of axle to place wheel outer side in relationship to the wheel opening...just a couple quick measurements and you're home...