The Great Carburetor & Induction Thread

55 Fargo

Hey all,

Starting this thread for discussion and debate on carbs and induction.

So let's hear it, all the opinions, experiences likes and dislikes.

In running Asche built Carter BB carbs and have also ran these in the past.

Stromberg, modern type Carter Webbers, Holleys lets hear your story.

Now lets keep it all civil Boys and Girls, no hitting below the belt.

• Like 1

My '38 Dodge is still running the original Stromberg. I put on a split exhaust on the car and have an Edmund's dual intake with matching breathers and a pair of Carters.

The car starts right up with a touch of the starter, never stalls, has decent acceleration and will go faster than I want to go.

I can't bring myself to installing the dual carbs. 

5a6b688376f42_6wduals(2).jpg.34f269204a7b3db3087d1287cb3a6f4d.jpgHere is my setup.

Asche built Intake and Tru Split exhaust. 2 Carter BB big truck carbs CFM approx 175 each.

Now this is on my tired 228, compression is down and rings are leaking.

The Asche setup is built for my eventual 265 build.

It runs a tad rich but if on the highway for 20 miles plugs look great.

Looks cool and adds a bit of punch.

very happy with it only down side is fuel percolating a few times in super hot weather.

5a6b6881e317b_6wduals(1).jpg.e7ed82fc8a956ce96aa57265b5d91988.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

I plan to run the original 1" bore BBR1 on my 201 with a turbo, assuming I can get it jetted satisfactorily.  If it's not up to the task I'll start looking at other options, but hopefully I can open up the circuitry enough to keep the AFR where I need it.  

I'll be updating your turbo thread as we move the engine into that second stage.  ;)

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

Edited by thebeebe5

3 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

I plan to run the original 1" bore BBR1 on my 201 with a turbo, assuming I can get it jetted satisfactorily.  If it's not up to the task I'll start looking at other options, but hopefully I can open up the circuitry enough to keep the AFR where I need it.  

I'll be updating your turbo thread as we move the engine into that second stage.  ;)

Draw through I take it.

If blow through how will you make the carb seal?

Im very interested in your idea. 

Hope to see your thread on this topic soon.

These engines really are good candidates for boost.

Just now, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Draw through I take it.

Im very interested in your idea. 

Hope to see your thread on this topic soon.

These engines really are good candidates for boost.

Nope.  Blow through.  Not a fan of draw.  Working out a plan now....   there are ways.... 

there have to be ways....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Already o-ringed the theottle shaft.  Don't want aerosolized fuel sneaking out there.   Not too worried about a little leak around the choke shaft.  It's pretty tight, but a little loss there won't be a major concern. 

Edited by thebeebe5
  • Like 1

Just now, thebeebe5 said:

Already o-ringed the theottle shaft.  Don't want aerosolized fuel sneaking out there.   Not too worried about a little leak around the choke shaft.  It's pretty tight, but a little loss there won't be a major concern. 

Is there a reason you don’t want a draw through?  A lot easier and the fuel cools the charge air. 

Adam

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Nope.  Blow through.  Not a fan of draw.  Working out a plan now....   there are ways.... 

there have to be ways....

Studebaker had a really good looking solution to that with their '57 Golden Hawk w/blower.  Neat lookin' box over the carb. Polished stainless or aluminum would make underhood look great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Is there a reason you don’t want a draw through?  A lot easier and the fuel cools the charge air. 

Adam

Blow through will be easier for me to execute. 

Edited by thebeebe5

3 hours ago, kencombs said:

Studebaker had a really good looking solution to that with their '57 Golden Hawk w/blower.  Neat lookin' box over the carb. Polished stainless or aluminum would make underhood look great.

Ford did the same on some Paxton supercharged cars from the 60s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thebeebe5 said:

Ford did the same on some Paxton supercharged cars from the 60s. 

Yeah, but Ford's first was '57 using the same supercharger, maybe branded McCulloch, before the name change to Paxton.

The air box solves the problem of a pressurized carb's internals messing with the fuel/air flow design.

The box allows the external pressure and internal pressure differential which meters the fuel to remain the same.  .  

I run a Weber 32/36 2 BB progressive carb I bought off Langdons Stovebolt.  Worked good with jets it came with but after much trial and error I was able to get even better performance with bigger jets.  I also use my stock intake manifold and an adapter, also bought from Langdons.  This carb definitely improved my vehicles power and performance and I don't have to sync two carbs.

20171010_233607.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2

Installing dual carter/Webers on an offenhauser intake was the best improvement I've done to my 52 suburban. The other upgrade helped- edgy head/split Fenton exhaust manifolds/ engine bored .040/ overdrive transmission/ fuel system upgrades/ cooling system upgrades

image.jpeg

• Like 1