Water pump for my 39 Plymouth

thebelvedereman

Howdy Folks, will the gates 42554 water pump fit the 201 in my 1939 Plymouth, I see all different talk about water pumps, and I went on eBay to try and get one and I have several different ones that say they will or will not fit my 201, I was under the impression that all the water pumps were the same, on the short blocks , only difference being external or internal, and someone told me that the gates 42554 would work for either one, not really sure, I know a bit about flatheads but not enough about what interchanges with what

Your information is essentially correct.

35 to 50 are the same and have a flat flange  to accommodate the external bypass.  51 to 56 have a threaded hole for the heater connection.

Some pumps , likely built after 1950 have both.  Curiously, Spitfire Engines in the Chrysler have an external bypass in 51.   There are differences in the impellers too.

Local rebuilders here used P46   P47  and P47-3 to distinguish these pumps.  (Fenco)    whether this holds true elsewhere, I do not know.

If you have your original water pump it should have three threaded studs with a nut onthe end to pull the wp up tigh to the front of the block. On the newere gates model the shortes stud was replaced by a thread bolt becasue the newer model of water pump now have the thicker body and the newer replacement pumps will not permit you to use all three studs.  i found this out the hard way and found a wp that had the 1/2 inch thnk body on the lower stud.

call me and I will tell you in more detail about this issue.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

home 610-630-9188

43 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

If you have your original water pump it should have three threaded studs with a nut onthe end to pull the wp up tigh to the front of the block. On the newere gates model the shortes stud was replaced by a thread bolt becasue the newer model of water pump now have the thicker body and the newer replacement pumps will not permit you to use all three studs.  i found this out the hard way and found a wp that had the 1/2 inch thnk body on the lower stud.

call me and I will tell you in more detail about this issue.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

home 610-630-9188

I just looked it up on RockAuto where I ordered it from, and it comes with the bolt, so all I have to do is get my stud out of the block and I should be good, thanks

12 hours ago, 40Club said:

did You find a radiator?

I'm not sure if it needs a radiator yet, if it does I'll probably go with a new style aluminum one, the main places I saw it leaking where out of the freeze plugs and out of the water pump, who knows what else will spring up once I fix those though LOL

• Thanks 1