1950 Wayfarer Coupe Rear End Swap

Dropping a 383 Chrysler in my 50 with a T5 or other 5 or 6 speed manual. What's the go-to rear end you Mopar guys would use here? Thinking of going with 15x8 rears with 4 to 5 inch lip. I can weld n modify frame, if necessary. I think stock rear is 60.5" WMS. Thanks gentlemen. 

An Explorer 8.8 will plenty strong. You will shell that T5 long before the 8.8.  I’d look at a T56 instead of the T5. An 8” wheel might be a little too wide without frame narrowing. 

I have whipped the snot out of 8.8’s and it’s impressive how strong they are. Weld the axle tubes to the center section. 

Adam

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldskoolartcustoms said:

What year Explorer did you use? Post your ride up too. Thanks

I used a 2001 Explorer 8.8 in my current build (the 47).  4.1 Trac Lock

Sorry, don't have the measurements handy.

IMG_2809.JPG.62bee7670b2f1a32a598a685e6731e5f.JPG

5ae87fe622ef9_Bodyoff.JPG.e655b39fe8bbae4439a1736fafef8318.JPG

I also used the factory Explorer sway bar, mounts and end links.  Made for a clean install

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1

Yeah I missed the part about T5... 383 and a T5, won't end well unless you have 4 of 8 cylinders disabled or drive it in the slowest, slow shifting you can possibly do.

An 8.8" will probably work. '95-'01 Explorer 8.8" does gain disc brakes and they are at 59-60" wide. I would have to take a tape measure to the one I have to know exactly.. Look for the ratio tag and look for an "L" code so you get traction lock

Edited by matt167
  • Like 1