1967 Dodge Dart GT

51_Meadowbrook

I received a call from my mother today saying that her friend is moving and needs to get rid of a car in her yard. She has already called a junk yard to get rid of it but my mother said to wait until I looked at it and see if I wanted it. It will be a free car, which usually means just take it. But I want to make sure I'm not getting a car that nobody else would buy if I need to sell it once I get it fixed. The other thing that is holding me up is I have no place to store it. I would have to buy some sort of car port for it. The license plate says it was last on the road in 1993. I liked what I saw with the exception of the rotted rear corner panel. I didn't get a chance to really try to turn the engine before it started pouring and I had to leave. The oil was full on the dipstick. Nobody was home for me to ask any information about it. Any information on these cars would be great. I have never had any sort of muscle car and I know nothing about sourcing parts for it. What is the open hole section on the console? It looks like an old airplane throttle style shifter, but the shifter is on the column.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Why are you even asking? It's FREE! You don't have to restore it. Just drag it home and get it running,made sure it goes into first and reverse so you can tell potential buyers,and put it up for sale. If you don't go nuts with the asking price it will be gone in a few days and you will have some cash in your pocket.

Yes,Dart GTS were popular,and are still popular, I can only guess that someone changed the steering column for some reason because AFAIK,GTS Darts came with a console and floor shift.

There is just no way you can lose if you just take it home and put it up for sale.

• Like 1

273 Power Pack 235 ponies....two doors, what is not to like, can't go wrong grabbing it up....clear the storage clutter out of it....move it on to a serious builder....the more original it is kept albeit rough, the better the return on the sale...I got some super nice bumpers for that ride and a extra nice wiring harness....

I'm thinking the interior is possibly original,  I can't say for sure but under the clutter the driver seat doesn't even appear to be torn or stitches busted . I can't make out the miles but from the pics it represents as a low mile car also.  Kinda makes you wonder why this car was parked.  This would be a great project, love the body style of this model.  Seems like your lucky day to me.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

273 Power Pack 235 ponies....two doors, what is not to like, can't go wrong grabbing it up....clear the storage clutter out of it....move it on to a serious builder....the more original it is kept albeit rough, the better the return on the sale...I got some super nice bumpers for that ride and a extra nice wiring harness....

I think the car is worth saving, but I don't think it's a 273 HiPo - the fender emblems would be "273 4BBL" and not "V8", and the engine would have a AFB on it; more likely somebody put the Commando valve covers on a 2 barrel 273 (like I did to my '64 'cuda), probably the same person who put an automatic console in a column shift car, but didn't finish the job.  Get a picture of the data tag on the drivers's inner fender - it's easy to decode '60's MoPar tags online. Seeing leaves on the floor is a good sign (at least there is a floor for leaves to collect on), but at minimum, the am-fm radio is a $500 piece.  

This is the sort of floor shifter that the console uses...........mine is out of a late 60's Oz Valiant, some were just a push button, some had a key lock in the button........this is in my 1940 Dodge, see pic..........here in Oz that car would be worth a minimium of $8-10,000 Oz dollars, we had that a 2dr body shell as a Valiant Hardtop in 1969 VF Series Valiant & 1970 VG Series Valiant.......pity about the rust in the rear quarter..............give it a good clean & you should make some money on it...............andyd

P1010278.JPG

With the shifter on the column does that mean that the transmission was replaced or someone just went through the work of moving it for personal preference? If it is just the shifter that was moved is setting up the original configuration difficult?

My 65 Dart GT from a few decades ago. I paid $145 bucks for it and took 'liberties' with it. It became 'home base' on the beach at many Daytona Bikeweeks. My freinds  and I would ride stripped custom bikes around Daytona and store coats, helmets, booze and camping gear in the trunk. I would buy that in a minute!

img002.jpg

• Like 1

From the general appearance of the interior and the way the column looks to match the rest of the interior and the fact that the console appears to be just sitting in the interior as there seems to be a gap on its side plus theres no shifter nor gear indicator strip beside it, then I'd say its a column auto car...........I'd take it in a heartbeat........any chance you can ship it to Australia?......................lol................sorry.......late in the day, better go.......its worth tidying up at least........andyd

7 hours ago, 51_Meadowbrook said:

With the shifter on the column does that mean that the transmission was replaced or someone just went through the work of moving it for personal preference? If it is just the shifter that was moved is setting up the original configuration difficult?

The same transmission was used for column and console shifted cars;  as Andy noted, it looks like somebody did the easy part, removed the "buddy seat" Dodge typically put between the buckets in a console delete car and set a console in place without the shifting mechanism.  Switching out the steering column to get rid of the shifter is the hard part - sometimes you'd see someone remove the lever but keep the column with the gear selector on it back in the days when Kendall bought his for $150.

Seats are correct for a 67 so probably original.  The seat medallions are one year only. They changed them for the 68/69 model years.  I've got a 67 Dart GT convertible with the slant 6.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RNR1957NYer said:

I think the car is worth saving, but I don't think it's a 273 HiPo - the fender emblems would be "273 4BBL" and not "V8", and the engine would have a AFB on it; more likely somebody put the Commando valve covers on a 2 barrel 273 (like I did to my '64 'cuda), probably the same person who put an automatic console in a column shift car, but didn't finish the job.  Get a picture of the data tag on the drivers's inner fender - it's easy to decode '60's MoPar tags online. Seeing leaves on the floor is a good sign (at least there is a floor for leaves to collect on), but at minimum, the am-fm radio is a $500 piece.  

the fender tag would the final call on the stage of the engine, looks tock 273 power pack in dress, appears to be correct Carter AFB 4bbl stock to a power pack 235 HP version.....many folks often confuse or jump to conclusion seeing these valve covers and think 273 Formulas S which is the 270+ high output version.  

12 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

And the Mopar AM-FM radio is a plus as well........

Don't think the radio is stock, seems to me the volume and tuning dial were vertical.

I believe the radio is correct but those tires have some cracks in them. I think you should just let me know where it's at and I'll go pick it up and let it sit in my yard for a while. Heck I'll even take the junk that's inside.

But seriously, take the car and at the very least sale it to someone who appreciates it and even give the lady some of the money from the sale. You will still come out ahead on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

Couldn't tell if it's 32 or 82.

It's a free car. It makes no difference what the mileage is.

6 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

It's a free car. It makes no difference what the mileage is.

Totally agree,  I was just making the point  the condition of the driver seat reflects low miles.  

So I sent the message that I wanted the car and would pick it up this weekend.. ‘..oh we aren’t getting rid of that car..’ Apparentlh they got married in that car blah blah blah. But I have my pick of the Buick skylark fenders and random frame resting in the dirt.. You would think that if you knew someone was coming to look at your cars you would specify if any are not in the list of throw-away cars.