As a curosity

Plymouthy Adams

I have a set to install...I've had them for 30 years and never seem to get to it.

Know what they are but have never made use of any.  On high performance cars like ours, one does not want to add unnecessary unsprung weight.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

how many folks here have the rear lower shock guards installed on their car?

Are you referring to the rear shock absorber stone guards?. My Canadian parts book lists stone guards for all Canadian Chrysler cars 1940 - 47  part no.856350 - right ...part no.856351- left

5ae79a180a46e_rearshockabsorberstoneshield.JPG.a85c764b616b31229897ed3ea9715fa0.JPG

My 40 Dodge had them when I bought it as did the other half dozen I pulled apart over the years but as Dpollo says our hipo cars did not need them..........lol.......ndyd

• Like 1

Engine Splash Guards???...........now theres a memory coming back..........lol..........I vaguely remember those things on either side of the engine when I first started work on my 1940 Dodge, September 1971........even remember that the steering box went thru the drivers side one..........have no idea where they went as even tho' the car had the original engine rebuilt and re installed during 1972 by May/June 1973 the 318 poly was living in the chassis...........still have the lower inner panels hanging from the garage roof also, they were left off to help with airflow thru the engine bay.............andyd.   

The rear end on our D24 is unmolested :huh:, and does not have those guards on it, which is a tad surprising knowing they may have been available, and the car was sold new in southern New Mexico back when very few roads were paved.  It had the splash shields for the engine compartment, but those were removed long before we got the car.  They don't help with cooling in a desert environment.  Sure wish I had them now, though. 

23 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I think Robert KB had a thread with a picture......I have been wrong many times before tho....lol.

I did have a picture in a thread many years ago. I can't post from Photobucket and I am not sure where else I have a picture. It looked just like the one in the picture posted by T120 above.

• Thanks 1

I checked my 1939 Desoto parts manual and they are listed  as read shock absorber shiedl or stone deflector.  right  697240  left 697241. My 39 desoto does not have them installed and I have had the car for 31 years.

Learned something new today, see you can always leran more about own cars from this forum.  Thanks for the pictures and the posting. Now If i judge a car and I see them on then I know that they were an original part to the car and not an add-on.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

My p15 had the dust, splash guards. The pieces are still hanging in the garage still cacooned in 40 years of under coatney.  My sump guard is still on the oil pan,  the differential guard I also removed and have stored away.  Considering how the original owner use the car, I wonder why he didn't have the shock guards in place.