Coupe won't start.

casper50

by removing the small wire that goes directly to the dist,, you're testing the coil.  With the hot wire attached and the distr,  unhooked, was the voltage the same on both small terminals.  That's not the same thing as conductivity.

OK,  so your problem is in the distributor., at least at this point, probably the condenser.   leaving the dist unhooked, go back and take the hot wire off, reattach to key switch wires and confirm voltage stays the same.  now your testing the switch and the wires going to the dist.

ok, switch is good, primary side of coil is good, wiring is good.  That takes you to the distributor itself.  reconnect the small wire going to the dist.  Disconnect the condenser from the points.  with the points open ( slide some paper or cardboard between them, you should have  batt  voltage at the points

All that's left is that little fine wire and the condenser. Check the wire for fraying or contact where it's not supposed to be.  Most likely the condenser but check the wire anyway.  Congratulations, you've just completed a step by step troubleshooting of the primary ignition system in your car.  You'll want to check your point gap and check for side play on the dist shaft as well since that can affect point gap. 

One last thing, coil orientation.  If a positive ground system, the + side of the coil is the one that's supposed to be hooked to the dist, the - will be from the switch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

You're welcome.

You are welcome.

May I suggest that while you are ordering a replacement condenser,that you order 2 or them. Or maybe even three to make sure you always have a spare.

I always like having a spare  distributor cap,rotor,condenser,and points set in my trunk. If I am going anywhere but local,I also like to have a spare rebuilt fuel pump and water pump,also.

Given what rollback rides and hourly shop rates are now,plus shipping and a motel  room while you are waiting for it to come it,it's pretty cheap insurance if you are on the road.

And really,that's probably 90+ percent of what goes wrong with these old cars. Mechanically they are pretty bulletproof if in good condition and you keep them cool and lubed.