Big block install

John32369

Ok I’m in the process of getting a title for the shell of a 48 Dodge business coupe that I purchased before I bought my one that had been hot rodded.   It currently has a 270 polyhead motor sitting in it that’s not running.   During this time a good running 440 with a 727 transmission kind of fell into my lap. I know it’s not original, but if I plan on putting a nova front clip under it or some other front suspension graph/upgrade would a 440 just be too much mass to try to squeeze under the hood?

Ok, got my coupes mixed up. Thought I was talking about the hot rod but was talking about my original coupe lol. It still has the factory frame not the nova front clip as stated earlier. I apologize lol

Edited by John32369

If you are confident in your fab/welding skills, anything is possible. Doing a front clip isn't a small job, lots to consider. If It were me, I'd pull the front sheermetal to give myself room then mock the 440 up with the stock frame. That will tell you how much work you need to do. One good thing is the distributor location on the 440. Gives you more room at the firewall. 

Edited by allbizz49

48 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

If you are confident in your fab/welding skills, anything is possible. Doing a front clip isn't a small job, lots to consider. If It were me, I'd pull the front sheermetal to give myself room then mock the 440 up with the stock frame. That will tell you how much work you need to do. One good thing is the distributor location on the 440. Gives you more room at the firewall. 

but watch that oil filter.....lol

9 hours ago, John32369 said:

What year Durango or Dakota clip would fit under it?

Most folks will want to use the early 5-bolt assembly, 1986-1990,  next choice is the first of the 6-bolt , 91-94?, which can be changed to 5

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

but watch that oil filter.....lol

remote, remote, remote....

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes...or....most folks will often put a recessed firewall in...that and a frame notch, button filter...let the big dog eat...

The one that I looked at (and passed on ....) had the 440 installed way high so that nothing interfered with the steering or the 440 oil filter.  Fine for straight line use, but not what I wanted for street driving.

Marty

In my '38 Chrysler (I think a bit less room under the hood than your car) I put a 383/727. It is a tight squeeze. No inner fenders, Cavalier rack, relocated shocks, remote oil filter, and disc brakes with the master on the firewall. I didn't have to alter the firewall or core support, but I notched the front cross member to allow the engine to sit lower.

With the extra width a 440 wouldn't have fit with the hood sides on.

026.JPG

028.JPG

15 hours ago, HughForrest said:

In my '38 Chrysler (I think a bit less room under the hood than your car) I put a 383/727. It is a tight squeeze. No inner fenders, Cavalier rack, relocated shocks, remote oil filter, and disc brakes with the master on the firewall. I didn't have to alter the firewall or core support, but I notched the front cross member to allow the engine to sit lower.

With the extra width a 440 wouldn't have fit with the hood sides on.

You must be touching the sides now...last time I looked the difference was minimal, maybe a ½".....

What is the status of your car now?

• Thanks 1

Hugh...........thats a real nice car and a credit to you................am very impressed...........any more pics?..interior, engine bay........thanks, andyd

Thanks Andy, that's kind of you. If anything those pics look better than real life!

Except for the dash paint & running boards it all looks pretty stock on the outside. The seat still has the original upholstery afaik.

151.JPG

SM2011-6.jpg

SM 2011-5.jpg

Also like your remote oil filter setup.........have a similar arrangement on my 318 Poly plus an engine oil cooler, I used the standard A series 318 remote oil engine block plate with the lines going up to the remote filter bracket and also to the oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator behind the grille, adds about another  2 quarts to the capacity..........BTW....I love the colour scheme on your car............the cream /woodgrained dash, red leather & wheel, cream paint, black roof & chrome wires..........elegant and tasteful....................andyd.     

P1010270.JPG

On 5/5/2018 at 2:14 PM, HughForrest said:

Been a running & driving machine a couple/few years now.☺️

SM 2011-2.jpg

SM 2011-1.jpg

Most excellent!

No doubt that it raises a few eyebrows.