Kubalwagon build

pflaming

That must've been a while back. That stuff all disappeared around here back when scrap prices were high. It's rare to see anything more than 20 years old. On the other hand I gave up on breaking even on this Mopar stuff. I'm just gonna keep it and let the kid worry about it when I croak. ?

• Like 1

I've never been that far north in Missouri. Don't the Mormons believe the Garden of Eden was up there somewhere? I can say with conviction that as much as I love swampeast Missouri I'm certain the Garden of Eden was never here. The real question is, do you say MissouRee or MissouRuh? It's my litmus test for politicians, too. One of them says it wrong I vote for the other guy!! ?

• Thanks 1

Social media is fascinating. A thread from California on a dune buggy elicits a response from a member in Maine who recommends a shop to visit, the owner of which, 50 years ago, was a war buddy of a member in Indiana. The two army buddies connect and visit,, first contact in 50 years!  WOW!! 

I've been easing back sorting, storing, tossing all in a full reorganization of my shop.. in sorting out the VW engine parts stash, I stated to loosely assemble one engine. What I have discovered is that the PO must have been getting ready for a complete over haul because all required parts are new: cylinders with new pistons, high performance intake and exhaust headers and manifolds and muffler, carburetor, valves, push rods, oil cooling tower, and all seals and gaskets! ALL ITEMS MARKED WITH RED,    WOW!!

IMG_3359.JPG

Aircooled VW engines are easy to build. That one looks to be a generic dual port motor with the exception of the stinger. Since it's an unknown quantity I'd personally split the cases and check it all out. At the very least check the crankshaft endplay. 

I've pretty much have the parts for nearly two engines. I did notice that the crank shaft is for  six cylinder engine, so may need to make a trade.

The question is, so now what?  I best shelve all this and upon returning from Maine complete the Suburban. Yet this crazy hobby gets addicting. 

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

Now what? I've been sorting out two engines, the third one is in the "complete" bug. Today I moved the pan to storage, at 100 degrees, the other one tomorrow.  No current schedule to build one. 

IMG_3393.JPG

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

I was wondering about the case that is fully disassembled. 

You'd need to have them checked before doing anything else. Just about any VW cases that are around anymore have the thrust surfaces pounded out of them. CB Performance sells some nice cases but they are mega $$$. Prices have gone through the roof in the last several years. 

This VW came with the stash. It is complete, the engine, transaxle, front suspension all still in the car. I have all four fenders, both hoods,  rear seats with good original covers, and all the glass. 

IMG_3377.JPG