Gas tank & synchromesh

Dodgeed

Today, I paid for my 1951 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup truck, and drove it around the block for the first time.The Owner told me none of the instruments on the dash work. That was a surprise to me, as it wasn't mentioned previously. Anyway, since the gas gauge doesn't work, I'm wondering what is the size (gallons) of the tank? Also, what grade of gas should be used?

When shifting from first into second, there was a slight grinding sound, making me think there isn't a synchromesh in this transmission. Is this correct, there is no synchromesh? If so, how do you shift w/o the grinding. Thanks to all who take some time to respond. 

Welcome to the "family" Dogeed.

Your fuel tank is 15-18 gallon. I believe there were a couple of sizes available.

Is it a 3 speed, or 4 speed? Column shift, or floor shift? 3 speeds should be synchronized in 2nd and 3rd. Early 4 speeds are spur gear (no synchros), but the later 4 speeds have synchros.

As for the gauges, the oil pressure and temp are mechanical. If they aren't working they may not be connected, or someone cut the capillary tube for the temp gauge. The ammeter should be connected inline with the entire electrical system, so if it's not working it may have been bypass for some reason. Has someone upgraded to 12 volts and an alternator? And the fuel gauge issue could be the sender, or not connected because of the 12v conversion(?).

Thanks Merle Coggins, for the welcome, and the info. To answer your questions, it is a 3 speed on the column. The owner knew nothing about the truck's history, and she had it for only a year or so, and practically never drove it. It was fully restored over 20 years ago, then parked when the restorer died. His son just stored it. The body & bed look practically brand new. Dunno why none of the gauges work. I would think with such a good restoration, he would also have hooked up the gauges. It has not be converted to 12 volt. 

The owner will be keeping the truck in her garage for me, as a favor to me, for the next 3 months, until I can get a new garage built. So, for the next 3 months, I'm not going to have access to it to check out what is going on w/the gauges. I have a couple of other "old" cars which also don't have functioning gas gauges, and I've just estimated usage and then gotten another fill up. I've managed to only run out of gas once in over 30 years of doing it that way. 

So, you're saying the 3 speed on the column should be snychronized? When I shifted from first to second, there was a grinding noise. I never attempted to shift from third to second. There was no grinding when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, however. I only got to drive it once, just around the block. 

Kinda strange, isn't it, to buy a truck w/o ever having actually driven it? Oh well, I did that w/my previous "old" cars, and it's worked out. Thanks again for your help. 

8 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

Kinda strange, isn't it, to buy a truck w/o ever having actually driven it? Oh well, I did that w/my previous "old" cars, and it's worked out. Thanks again for your help. 

in the old car hobby, many vehicles exchanging hands are not even running let alone safe to test drive....a goodly portion change hands without an in-person examination...the car I bought this past week I saw a couple poor quality pictures, man talked the car down badly, paid parts car prices and was most surprised as to what I bought when I went to pick it up...

Thx Plymouthy Adams. Yup, I know that is what has happened many times in this old car hobby. What was kind of surprising to me was that since the restoration looked so good, I was not expecting that all the dash board gauges wouldn't work. The owner confessed to not knowing anything about the truck; she bought it because she liked the look of it. He boyfriend, however, seemed to me to be a 'car' guy, and I assumed he would have taken care of any issues, but, not so. Anyway, I'm happy to have gotten the truck at a fair price, and am looking forward to having it as part of my collection of "toys".  Also, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum here, and learning about what I just bought. 

well, welcome, a good number of folks here are hands on people, while I cannot speak for others, the journey that is most fun for myself is the work getting them up to speed...after that, they just become another vehicle...many pass on a car when buying do to the fact they wish not get involved in the repair process and in the same manner many pass-on a car that needs said repairs...the tax collectors are the happiest of the group...