1953 dodge Coronet transmission issues

martin53

I picked up a 53 dodge Coronet a couple of weeks ago. Got it running but when I try to put it in gear the transmission grinds in every gear. I have no idea what transmission came out for this year. Also could the wiring from the trans have something to do with the grinding or could it just be a worn out clutch. The engine is a 241 red ram hemi and I have no idea what transmission I have. Thanks

Just now, austinsailor said:

Stuck clutch. Put it in gear and try to start it.

I started in gear and it drove in all gears. I can't get it to shift in any gears while in nuetral. The wires from the transmission aren't wired would that have something to do with it.

9 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Overdrive or fluid drive?

starts in gear, stopped, and doesn't take off while the clutch is still depressed? Still sounds like a clutch problem with the plate dragging.

It's the gyromatic trans so I'm thinking fluid drive. Starts in gear, drives, doesn't stop when clutch is pressed.

Not enough clutch pedal free play? Clutch plate stuck on  transmission input spline from sitting for exented time?

35 minutes ago, 1949 Goat said:

Not enough clutch pedal free play? Clutch plate stuck on  transmission input spline from sitting for exented time?

I'll have to check it out. Would you happen to have the wiring diagram for the transmission

So I took the inspection plate off and had my daughter push on the clutch while I took a look at it. I don't know what the clutch plate is supposed to look like but is it supposed to be split down the middle. When pressed it separates. Could that be the reason it's grinding while trying to shift.

The disc has facings on each side.   It sounds like yours is stuck to either the pressure plate or the fluid drive's drive plate.

Since you have the cover off, you could loosen off the six bolts which hold the pressure plate then insert a tool like a putty knife between the surfaces, but not into the space

on the disc itself.

When I have had a stuck disc, driving the car with the pedal depressed has always resulted in the disc becoming unstuck.    Not something you would want to do in traffic.

With the trans in gear say High range try turning the clutch pressure plate by hand in  both directions... the pressure plate should rotate easily one direction and not the other.

Try doing this same test with the clutch pedal pushed down by your daughter... the pressure plate should easily and freely rotate in both directions by hand.

If it does not.... either the clutch disc is stuck to the fluid drive driven plate and or the clutch pressure plate or the input shaft bushings are frozen up or gummy..

And as above the transmission input shaft could be rusted /stuck in the clutch disc splines... 

Another test....With the trans in neutral and the clutch pushed in you should be able to use a screw driver to move the clutch disc back and forth a little between the FD driven plate and the clutch pressure plate....if not the disc is stuck to one or both.

Blake 48 Cpe bell Housing Insp for Scraping noises (11).JPG

A non fluid drive car you can usually un-stick a frozen clutch disc by pushing down both the clutch and the brake pedals firmly... then putting the car in 3rd, then try cranking the engine over...usually will break free the disc.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up having my daughter push down the clutch in nuetral while I tapped on the clutch driven plate with a hammer. Popped right off. Drove it for a little bit with just the clutch. It was awesome. Thanks for the help.