I bought another old dodge !

Dale Gribble

Got the wheels on but now the car won’t start. Ordered all new ignition components yesterday. Just going to replace coil,cap, rotor, points and condenser ...  strange, considering that I drove it into my backyard just a few months ago. And when I took it for a drive before I parked back there it was running just fine .  Is getting fuel, but doesn’t seem to be getting fire ...  maybe the car did not like my choice of wheels and does not want to be seen in public ??? ???

476EAAD7-F87A-48ED-94D8-E8E31998F195.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dale Gribble said:

Got the wheels on but now the car won’t start. Ordered all new ignition components yesterday. Just going to replace coil,cap, rotor, points and condenser ...  strange, considering that I drove it into my backyard just a few months ago. And when I took it for a drive before I parked back there it was running just fine .  Is getting fuel, but doesn’t seem to be getting fire ...  maybe the car did not like my choice of wheels and does not want to be seen in public ??? ???

476EAAD7-F87A-48ED-94D8-E8E31998F195.jpeg

yes..that is a possibility....

1 hour ago, Dale Gribble said:

Who can blame it? That car sounds like a keeper to me!

The saga continues ... I guess I need to locate a fluid drive transmission seal set . When we started the car tonight after swapping the ignition components we noticed a large oil leak at the front of the trans ..... anyone have a source for them ??  The trans shifts fine , apparantly just leaks ...

35 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

oil leak front of trans....bigger question is.....transmission oil or engine oil leaking at the rear seal of the engine....they drain a the same point...

Does it really matter? You would have to be nuts to not replace both seals while you have it apart.

How about this ..... anybody want to buy a 48 D-24 that needs tranny work ??? I can’t find parts ..... this car can go to hell , or the crusher , I don’t  really care either way at this point , I want my driveway back . At least I can find parts for all my Cadillacs ... 

Edited by Dale Gribble
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously ..... anybody want this thing ??? I’m sick as hell of looking at something I can’t drive and parts are apparantly non existent .... or only available to those who know the secret handshake and backwoods supplier .... neither of which I possess ...

Edited by Dale Gribble

11 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

Seriously ..... anybody want this thing ??? I’m sick as hell of looking at something I can’t drive and parts are apparantly non existent .... or only available to those who know the secret handshake and backwoods supplier .... neither of which I possess ...

Parts are around to swap. You can do this.

11 hours ago, pflaming said:

Why keep the fluid drive? Engines and three speed transmissions are always available and inexpensive. I would much prefer a three speed  and overdrive to the fluid drive. 

Because I loved the originality of this car ... that’s why I bought it ... if I wanted a modern drivetrain , I’d buy a diplomat ... 

feel your pain but I still have to go with my gut on this being these old cars are not for everyone and as an added and never intended to slam or insult, but if you don't do you own work on these cars....you may never find happiness....just now you say the transmission is leaking but contradict this with an earlier post that the coupler may be leaking...and if fluid coupler...tranny is an easy seal after all it is just a three speed transmission....however if backing up you definitely state coupler leak,  you forgetting a prime search resource, there are a number of seals on E-bay right now...I think a new tranny mechanic may be in order even if this guy is friend or not as these parts are not that difficult to find.   9 out 10 times it is just the NEW or DIFFERENCE experience that confuses folks.

7 hours ago, austinsailor said:

I was talking about a swap to a 3 speed or 3 speed with od, both were offered originally.

How are the brakes now? Were you able to get them right with my tool?

The brakes are close . I need to pull one rear wheel and readjust a little . It’s certainly a learning curve to use it ... 

i have the trans in my 49 meadowbrook , but don’t know anything about it ...