I bought another old dodge !

Dale Gribble

My 48 Plymouth is still 6v pos ground with an Optima battery,  works fine,  I did add a 10A 6v. to 12 v converter so I could charge phones and run GPS.  I did convert the 51 B3B Dodge pickup that I just finished to 12 volts.  I also wanted a modern sound system and plan to add AC and electronic ignition at some point.  I also changed the generator out to a one wire alternator.  As I had to put a new harness into the truck and replace just about everything it was much easier to go 12 volts.   I am still using the 6 volt starter,  no modification.  I also put resistors in for the heater motor, wiper motor and horn.  What I used there were 1 ohm 100 watt resistors.  I'm currently still running a 6 volt coil with a ceramic ballast resistor.  The starter does run very fast and the truck starts after about 2 revolutions, so all is good.  From now on, finding parts, including batteries, should be much easier.

Bill

• Like 2

I have to be 110% my title matches these numbers BEFORE I get to the highway patrol inspection to have it updated to reflect door post serial on title for reg purposes . I see a 5 not a 6 .... The stamping sucks , and I have no others to base my opinion on ... 

12 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Sure looks like a 5.  What's the engine number?  Maybe years ago, someone misread it when they filled in the paperwork. 

Engine number correlates to a 53 truck motor ... 

My mechanic and I are debating the curve on the 5 vs the mystery 6 ... He says oval vs round , I say they look alike ..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

Got it all up in the air and located the frame numbers last night ..... And on to the next quandary .... Mopar apparently sucked at stamping numbers .... I  see 445157 but my mechanic says 446157 like the title states .... Opinions ?? 

Looks like a 5 to me.

Definitely a 6. As pointed out above the size difference in the bubble part of the number is different. The middle photograph shows this clearly. Occams razor also applies here. How would it be that you have a title that is only a single digit away from your worry? Don't borrow trouble.

13 minutes ago, chuck 47 plym said:

If the title matches the number stampedon the frame from the factory why would you need to have the title changed?

He was asking BECAUSE he wasn't sure it was a match. I'm not,either. Looks like a 5 to me. Look at the upper left corner on the number some people see as a "6",and you will see a "90 degree peak" like the number "5".

What I once did in a similar situation was to just get a new title from the old one,and then a few months later notify the state there there was a typo on the new title,and gave them the correct number. No problem. They just sent me a new matching title.

That is NOT something you can count on happening,but it is an option. If your DMV questions it and send out an inspector,just show them the number in question and ask them if they can see how it could have been seen two different ways by a previous inspector.  No guarantee,but most are reasonable men with experience in the field,and there ain't much they haven't seen. This won't be anything new to them. Back in the "bad old days" new titles weren't scanned. Someone sat behind a typewriter 8 hours a day and typed that crap out. No matter how diligent and skilled you are,sooner or later you are going to make a typo.

Even IF the inspector were to see a "6" instead of a "5" or a "5" instead of a "6",you would just get a new title with that number on it,and that would be counted as a certification of correct numbers from your state.

On the other hand,if they want to play reindeer games,tell them to take up their bitch with the DMV from the state that issued it,not you,because YOU are not responsible for what some state typist or DMV inspector mistake.

Unless they see obvious fraud like overstamps,you are going to get a title. DMV's are in the business of selling license plates and collecting taxes,not bullying taxpayers.

• Like 1

I thought a 5 at first but after reading the replies I now think 6. I would go with the 6 as that is what the title states and honestly I doubt DMV will check the frame and even if they do I don't think they would argue with a 6.

After viewing Reg' reference I now agree it is a 6.  I was on the fence being in the OP photo the supposed 6 had a vertical line extending upwards.  This casted some doubt in my opinion.  However, after looking at other stampings of the number 6 I am quite certain in the OP the numer in question is in-fact a 6.  My two cents!!?

21 hours ago, chuck 47 plym said:

If the title matches the number stampedon the frame from the factory why would you need to have the title changed?

Because the average patrol officer doesn't know anything about a frame number, and I don't need any BS from the local police department because they are a bunch of idiots. So by revising the title to reflect the serial number in the door jamb ,  if there's ever a problem there's no discrepancies ....  trying to get the police or the city tow lot people to understand the difference between a serial number and a frame number is like trying to beat your head against the wall until your headache leaves .... Completely pointless 

18 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I thought a 5 at first but after reading the replies I now think 6. I would go with the 6 as that is what the title states and honestly I doubt DMV will check the frame and even if they do I don't think they would argue with a 6.

It's not a matter of if DMV will check the frame, it's a matter of highway patrol is going to be inspecting the car,  and they are checking the frame. so every single piece of everything has to be in order. Or I do not get the car back ....

1 hour ago, Dale Gribble said:

It's not a matter of if DMV will check the frame, it's a matter of highway patrol is going to be inspecting the car,  and they are checking the frame. so every single piece of everything has to be in order. Or I do not get the car back ....

Yup,and as more young cops get a badge,there are going to be more cops that are enviro-freaks looking for any excuse to pull a old car off the road. Your only defense is to not give them that excuse.

1 hour ago, Dale Gribble said:

Gotcha. That seems pretty harsh! Where do you live? Why is highway patrol inspecting? Where I live (Alberta, Canada) if your car has not been registered in a long time or is from another part of the country or even a different country you have to get what is called an "Out of Province" inspection. This can be done by any garage that is certified to do them. If a car fails, the reason(s) for the failure have to be corrected and the car re-inspected. This to me is reasonable and the owner would never lose the car.

Why not ask your DMV before taking the car for inspection if there's a chance they'll question the numbers?  You may need to speak with an experienced clerk or supervisor, as many only know about their State's requirements AFTER vehicle identification numbers were standardized by Federal law, or they may even have a clerk that specializes in such things, doesn't hurt to ask.  If a change is in order they may give you an option which number to use, personally, I would opt for the serial number, easier to read, easier to prove...also because I have over 30 years experience in identifying false documents, in part by comparing numbers and letters, and that number in question is a 5, not a 6, so that number is not correct on the title.  Neither number will "conform", and they'll have to override it anyway, every States' motor vehicle registration program allows for older cars that are still on the road.  I've dealt with such things with the DMV in five different States, (including Texas, where my brother retired as a Trooper and is now a Sheriff's Deputy), some clerks wig out a little because it's outside the lines or their comfort zone, but I've always left with what I needed.                 

• Like 1