I bought another old dodge !

Dale Gribble

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

not the frame number...that is the same as the original engine number

Any idea what the number on the title would be ??? I've read the the designation in the beginning , i.e. "D24" was the beginning of a frame number . I don't know for sure if the engine is original ,  end it definitely starts with a T on the engine number .  Which according to my limited research does not coincide to a car .  I will admit this is my second foray into the Dodge world, I am completely accustomed to General Motors products .  So I am not well-versed in finding and researching these numbers .  Don't mind doing some legwork to straighten this out, but I at least have to go up to the plate with all of my arguments in order .

4 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

Any idea what the number on the title would be ??? 

not being smart arse here but the number on the title you have already posted......as I do not know  your state of issue, you may have to inquire with the state DMV  pertaining to the regulations and procedure for assigned number to vehicles and the manner/position it is to be permanently affixed to the vehicle they may have assigned this identification...suggest a close inspection of the forward frame 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

30 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

At the end of the day I have to find the frame number. I have to see it and at least know what it is  

I have read here before that there is a serial number stamped on the frame at the rear right where the kickup begins.Should be fairly easy to find with a wheel off and a wire wheel in a drill.

I may be wrong,but based on the " T " I think that is a truck motor in your car.

Whatever you do,make sure you can get a title for the car in your state before you go dumping a lot of money and time into fixing it.

4 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Problem is it was still registered using the motor #, very common at the time. It was very easy to correct - or should I say update - when it was changed. More difficult now.

i don't believe the motor # appears anywhere on the car - who knows for sure? 

if the title was engine number it would start with D24.....the engine number is stamped on the frame.   By number sequence, proof of existing body stamping and assigned body number as posted, a truck engine in place, this leads me to believe the assigned number is DMV...most states assign first the number, owner affixes said number plate per rules and regulations, officer will inspect and sign DMV affidavit of proper fixing of ident tag, owner takes this inspection form to DMV for issuance of title.   Having done this process in the past number of times, the issuing state DMV would be my first stop for this information.

The LR corner of the frame is where the motor # is. Just behind and slightly down from the center line of the rear axle.

I never knew that Dodge ever used the Chrysler Highlander Tartan Plaid wool interior as seen on this car??!

1 minute ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The LR corner of the frame is where the motor # is. Just behind and slightly down from the center line of the rear axle.

I never knew that Dodge ever used the Chrysler Highlander Tartan Plaid wool interior as seen on this car??!

I am sure over the years changes have been made and that customer/owner preferences was the guideline for the work over that of originality.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is not a consensus.....its a fact......with the number of cars you have been associated with over the past years I am amazed that this is your first rodeo as they say...wo...what you going to do when you find the D24-XXXXXX on the frame....?

I've never once dealt with an old dodge / Mopar .. I've been a GM guy my entire life .... And I know right where to go for the hidden vin locations on the cars I specialized in .... I took a liking to this car the minute I saw it , and knew that there was a small snafu in that numbering vs title... But nothing I can't handle WHEN I find a corresponding number .... 

As as for what I'm going to do when I find said number , it's fairly simple to have a inspection station sign off on a ID/OD verification and either register it as is , or update the title to reflect serial in the jamb . But until I find a number that matches , I have to ask questions , and hope I don't get  Replies from folks such as yourself who don't seem to think I'm capable of doing such ....

Edited by Dale Gribble

5 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

I've never once dealt with an old dodge / Mopar .. I've been a GM guy my entire life .... And I know right where to go for the hidden vin locations on the cars I specialized in .... I took a liking to this car the minute I saw it , and knew that there was a small snafu in that numbering vs title... But nothing I can't handle WHEN I find a corresponding number .... 

As as for what I'm going to do when I find said number , it's fairly simple to have a inspection station sign off on a ID/OD verification and either register it as is , or update the title to reflect serial in the jamb . But until I find a number that matches , I have to ask questions , and hope I don't get  Replies from folks such as yourself who don't seem to think I'm capable of doing such ....

you answered the question I asked, what are you going to do when you find the number...that was not so hard.....I was actually supplying you with the format of the number you will be searching for IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS, also told you that you had a different engine...further I stated that your body tag and vehicle numbers as posted by you were not in agreement with pic of your title and that most likely DMV assigned. I am sorry if you find this displeasing or maybe unable to understand the format of the number I posted you will be looking for....these are facts and there is not much I or anyone here can do to help you if you discount them completely....I hope you do not display this attitude with the DMV...

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you answered the question I asked, what are you going to do when you find the number...that was not so hard.....I was actually supplying you with the format of the number you will be searching for IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS, also told you that you had a different engine...further I stated that your body tag and vehicle numbers as posted by you were not in agreement with pic of your title and that most likely DMV assigned. I am sorry if you find this displeasing or maybe unable to understand the format of the number I posted you will be looking for....these are facts and there is not much I or anyone here can do to help you if you discount them completely....I hope you do not display this attitude with the DMV...

Sorry , I took what you said in a condescending manner , when that maybe wasn't your intent . After driving it today , I'm set on finding the info I need to make a correct registration .... Usually I just flip cars , I want to keep this one around a while ...

• Like 1

this is normal as there is not a PCV as you stated...the vented screen is pointing toward the firewall as it should...on the other side of the engine, at rear, is a draft tube...this hangs down and has a baloney slice on it and when in forward motion the air passing by will cause a draft (venture effect) and syphon the gases from the engine's internal area...depending on the internal wear of the piston rings, the pressure in the engine will vary....as they say, it smokes, but it is old enough...

13 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

Not at all . It ran , so I bought it ..... Price was right ...

The good news is that none of these old flatheads are delicate engines,and they are not highly stressed. They will continue to start and run pretty well for thousands of miles after you would have to give up on modern engines at the same stage.

I once drove a flathead V-8 pu to work for about 2 months that was so low on compression I had to park it on a hill at home and let it roll down to start,and had to get one of my co-workers to pull me to get it running so I could get back home. The starter just wouldn't spin it over fast enough to get it started. Once started,it didn't knock or even smoke all that badly,and held right at zero oil pressure at idle. The oil pressure would build up to 20+ at driving speed,so that was no problem.

I bought the truck out of a junkyard for 50 bucks to get the transmission out of it to put in the panel truck I normally drove,but  was staying too busy doing construction work to swap the transmissions until the summer ended,so I just waited until work slowed down and  I  had the time.

• Like 1