1933 Dodge with 1953 230 Flathead 6 - TRANSMISSION HELP NEEDED

sactownog

hello all, I have a 1933 Dodge DP 6 with a 1953 Dodge 230ci engine, the stock transmission in the vehicle is a 3 speed with no-syncro's and not very good shifting sounds. it either must be rebuilt or will be replaced with a new updated transmission. 

I am not familiar with what to do in this scenario. is there anyone who can help me find the correct transmission adapter plate and transmission to go with?

I have been told to go with a t5 transmission and an adapter plate, but am not sure where I can find these items.

I would like to keep the flat head 6 but due to the irritating time trying to find the correct parts that will bolt onto the engine, I am considering full tear down of drive train and install a new mopar v8 setup. but would rather stick with flathead just cant find the correct parts to go with. all help is appreciated. (sorry if this has been asked, I could not find anything relating to this topic) 

Edited by sactownog

3 hours ago, sactownog said:

I would like to keep the flat head 6 but due to the irritating time trying to find the correct parts that will bolt onto the engine, I am considering full tear down of drive train and install a new mopar v8 setup. but would rather stick with flathead just cant find the correct parts to go with. all help is appreciated. (sorry if this has been asked, I could not find anything relating to this topic) 

If I understand you correctly you think it would be easier to do a complete engine transmission upgrade swap as opposed to installing an upgraded transmission. Transmission upgradeds have been cussed and discussed at length on this forum and there is tons of information on how folks have done it both using a "kit" and being creative using no 'kit". Trust me when I say inis a lot less work to install a upgraded transmission than to upgrade the full monte engine, exhaust, crossmembers, radiator, belt driven accessary, oil lines, fuel lines, speedometer cables, emergency brakes, to name a few things that must be delt with on a engine swap. 

• Like 3

I can do either, not saying one is easier than the other, I am trying to weigh out the differences between doing one or the other. I talked to Dave @ Vintage Metalworks and he was very helpful, I am going to find a T5 Transmission out of an S10 and he will sell me the parts to work out the rest of the swap. better so I can keep the flat 6. however I can get a 360 & Trans for $500 right now and have been up in the air about grabbing it and building it for this ride or future project. but for now, I think I will find a T5 and swap it. thank you for the help ALLBIZZ48

did he tell you what model S10 trans to use? they used a half dozen T5's. Early years, 4cyl and  V6 had different input shaft lengths. Later years they were Ford pattern transmissions and had other differences.. In any case the T5 you need is probably a ~$150-200 transmission

On 4/24/2018 at 2:06 AM, matt167 said:

did he tell you what model S10 trans to use? they used a half dozen T5's. Early years, 4cyl and  V6 had different input shaft lengths. Later years they were Ford pattern transmissions and had other differences.. In any case the T5 you need is probably a ~$150-200 transmission

he told me to use an S10 T-5 from a 1982 - 1988. t5 identification in google - 1352-146 part number. 

also told me that an 88-93 Foxbody Mustang drive line works with rear end and tranny. 

If you plan to do a lot of highway driving then a T-5 or other upgrade would be a plus but if just local cruising on side and back roads, If it were mine, I would strongly consider having the original transmission rebuilt and keeping the engine that is now in the car. My opinion of course. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

John R

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Reddie said:

If you plan to do a lot of highway driving then a T-5 or other upgrade would be a plus but if just local cruising on side and back roads, If it were mine, I would strongly consider having the original transmission rebuilt and keeping the engine that is now in the car. My opinion of course. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

John R

Totally agree.

• 1 month later...

well so far I am being told either go with T5 transmission or change out rear end, it seems that the rear end in a 1933 Dodge DP 6 has 4:30 rear end gears and that really will hinder my highway driving. I am considering swapping out the rear end with a more modern rear that will allow gear change as well as axle seals that are more easily available as the ones in my 33 seem to be hard to find as well as do not seal completely. 

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS! 

I have access to both rear ends, transmissions, and moper 360 engine and Tranny for $500. 

I am not sure where to start, I just want to get over this speed hump where 50mph is my current max, not that I want to be a hot rod or fly doing 90mph, I just want to cruise at speed on the highway that allows me to go with traffic (65 - 70) 

I'm a hotrodder so I am somewhat biased, eg, my 1940 Dodge has had a 318 poly, auto & 4 wheel discs since the mid 70's............when I bought the 41 plymouth I had it had the original 201, my intention was to instal a 230 with an S10 T5 adapted to the original bellhousing using one of the available adaptors such as that made by Paul Curtis.......the T5 allows for various ratios but in doing so the handbrake is no longer on the driveshaft so I was going to instal a late model rear axle with a ratio of around 3.5/3.7 which I thought would give a reasonable turn of speed as well as allowing the car to use the overdrive top gear..............I was also going to instal front disc brakes so the front & rear would have been compatible.........as for installing the V8 etc personally unless you have access to fabrication tools and skills then upgrading the stock 6 to maybe a later version such as a 230 from a 40's or 50's mopar with the attached o/drive and rear end maybe an easier option......whatever will require some sort of fabrication unless you find a way to install a 30's o/d ..........dunno if any of this helps........andyd.    

• Like 1

At that price I'd buy the motor/trans/rear end, even if I didn't need it right now. Andy brings up a good point about the handbrake. You'll have to change the rear end and deal with emergency brake cables no matter which way you go. The T5/rear end swap is simpler but you'll still have less than half the hp of the V8. I don't know about your mechanical abilities, cash flow, or available time but if those aren't serious stumbling blocks I'd say go for the complete drivetrain swap. 

Edited by MackTheFinger
content

Why cut up a perfectly good car. If you want faster, sell it and buy something different. When you buy   a '33 you know going slow is the nature of the beast. Just my thoughts but your car. 

M

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 3

Here is a T5 installed in a 32 Chrysler with a 250 engine.

The bell is much like a truck style, I believe.

No adapter plate was used for this install..

There are 2 pics of the T5 install on a 250 engine in a custom Graham Page application

20170329_124804_resized.jpg

20160628_185122_resized_1.jpg

20160628_185128_resized_1 - Copy.jpg

1 hour ago, RobertKB said:

Why cut up a perfectly good car. If you want faster, sell it and buy something different. When you buy   a '33 you know going slow is the nature of the beast. Just my thoughts but your car. 

F

True in most instances, but here is a 32 Chrysler someone I know owns. It has a more modern 250 engine, T 5 trans and 3.90 gears.

I have ridden in this car at 70 mph with ease, nice cruiser for 60 to 65 mph.

20160628_184512_resized_1.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo
  • Like 1

sactownog, are you doing the work your self or paying someone to make it happen?  If you have the time, talent, space, and equipment then options abound and at your own pace.

If you are paying a shop to do the swap then have a definite plan and stick with it.

Of all the various swap that I have seen, Robert Horne's Ranger swap has to be the easiest.  No, it does not come with all of the t5 hype. Read through his thread before buying adapter parts that do not further your agenda.

No one has questioned the shifter location; what is your seat configuration?

• 3 weeks later...