Rod Bolts

Have you tried arizonaparts.com?  I bought some NOS rod bolt split lock washers (p/n 668555) from him a couple of years ago.  Perhaps he still has some available?

Edited by Elwood
  • Like 1

Once again, any good fastener outlet will have 3/8 High Collar Split Lock Washers. They are very inexpensive, usually around $.10 a piece! This is not rocket science!

5 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Once again, any good fastener outlet will have 3/8 High Collar Split Lock Washers. They are very inexpensive, usually around $.10 a piece! This is not rocket science!

Like others here have mentioned, I too purchased some hi-collar split lock washers from a fastener supplier, and discovered that they did NOT fit in the recess in the connecting rod cap on my small block flathead.  The forging number on the rods was 954408.  I kept searching, until eventually I found the NOS ones at arizonaparts.com.

Elwood,

Mopar's O.D. specification for the 668555 washer was 17/32". My 3/8 High Collar Split Lock Washers measure in at less than that .531 spec! I purchased these at a well known Detroit area Big-Three OEM supplier.

Incidentally, I've used these on both 230s and 265s.

Walt

8 minutes ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Elwood,

Mopar's O.D. specification for the 668555 washer was 17/32". My 3/8 High Collar Split Lock Washers measure in at less than that .531 spec! I purchased these at a well known Detroit area Big-Three OEM supplier.

Incidentally, I've used these on both 230s and 265s.

Walt

Perhaps you'd be willing to share the name of the supplier and their part number?

I called around and found that McMaster-Carr has 3/8" High Collar Helical Spring Lock Washers. The I.D. and O.D. of the washers is virtually identical to the original Dodge split lock washers. The only difference is that the McMaster-Carr washers are thicker. The originals are approximately .081" and the McMasters are .132. They are made of mild steel and come in boxes of 100 for a little over $5. The Mc Master-Carr part number for the box of 100 is 90073A231. I just installed the M-C washers and torqued them to 45 ft-lbs and everything looks just fine. They fit the recess perfectly. Although the new washers are thicker, it took very little torque to get the split ends to match up so I'm fairly positive that the additional thickness isn't affecting the bolt stretching or torque spec significantly. If someone sees a problem with these replacements, please post a comment, but it seems straightforward. Hope this helps.

Split Washers.jpg

Split Washers 3.gif

Split Washer 2.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
additional comment

Worked for me!!  ?

A construction equip. mechanic for years, did not cause me any concern when I used them in my 230 Motor. Rebuilt many  diesel motors and gasoline (propane also) in those years.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950