Opinion. 49 pilot house

Just wondering what would be a fair offer for this 49 pilot house. Engine is stuck. Hasn't been started in 20 years. I guess I have a knack for finding Trucks that haven't run in 20 years lol. I assume I'd have to get a new engine.

So what would be a good offer knowing I will probably have to replace the engine or rebuild?

The interior seems to be in pretty good condition. All gages are there. 

Thanks

20180422_203641.jpg

If Your sure it is stuck and not the starter is stuck or the transmission is in gear.

I would offer $500 to $800 in my area 

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks like somebody tried to convert to 12V, it has the Express (stepside) running boards, almost looks like a dual wheel rear axle, not the original ignition key cylinder, a few other interior add-ons are present...if there is no key or title available, I would only give 1000 for it if it had a bag of $500 stashed under the seat :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It has an unusual ash tray, I vote auound $500. I would lay 2.crisp - $100 bills on the fender, then silently add $50 bills and slow down at. $400. I would pick all the bills up at $600. Good luck. It does look like a winner Truck and only you know how deep you pockets are.

Always start low. You never know how badly someone wants to get rid of a vehicle or needs the money. Paul's (pflaming) idea is good but I might tend to go a bit higher if I really wanted it. Only you know how badly you want it. $1000.00 tops would be my suggestion but try for considerably less.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what type of truck it is. I just know the year. I always drive by the place and decided to stop the other day. I have my own project id like to finish before I start another. I'm not totally in love with it . I was hoping to have a running engine and a truck for parts if needed. 

I do love the yellow color, seems to be in great shape. All the emblems are there. 

I guess one question would be, why is it stick shift and not three on a tree? 

The tags are very hard to read

20180422_171451.jpg

I couldn't read the model, but the serial number would identify it as a '49 B-1-C build in the Los Angeles plant.

Saltrock, the column shift didn't start until the B-2 series. That floor shift could be either a 3 speed or a 4 speed.

Also, it looks like it may have had a rear axle change. The one picture looks like a dual style wheel. Unless someone found dual wheels with a 5 X 5" pattern, and put longer studs in, I would suspect an axle swap.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if the engine is stuck, it can probably be saved. It would be fun to take it apart and see what's going on and if it has been rebuilt before. If it turns out that the block or cylinder surfaces are badly pitted and you don't personally want to invest in fixing it, someone else might still want to buy it from you and take it on as a project. All it takes is having some cash available and a desire not to see an old Mopar flathead scrapped. Who knows how many are left?  Good luck if you decide to buy it. If you get it for under $1000, I think you will have done pretty well.

15 hours ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

Even if the engine is stuck, it can probably be saved. It would be fun to take it apart and see what's going on and if it has been rebuilt before. If it turns out that the block or cylinder surfaces are badly pitted and you don't personally want to invest in fixing it, someone else might still want to buy it from you and take it on as a project. All it takes is having some cash available and a desire not to see an old Mopar flathead scrapped. Who knows how many are left?  Good luck if you decide to buy it. If you get it for under $1000, I think you will have done pretty well.

Thanks. I feel the truck needs to be rescued. I like that it has all the hardware. I was thinking of using it for parts. A part of me feels bad taking parts off a great truck to make mine better. 

I'm pretty close to buying it. It has been there for a while . Not in a big hurry.

Around here most people don’t want to sell because “they are going to get around to doing something with it” or they think it is made out of gold and want you to pay $3000 or more for a non running truck.