25" 218 intake manifolds

Ausstromer

Hi everyone.  Before you start I have searched and haven't got a conclusive answer.

I have a '52 Plymouth Cranbrook, 3 SPD with the factory overdrive. Australian built / delivered, so factory right hand drive. 

The engine block is stamped P25.

According to my searches this is a 218.  Running a tape over the head it measures 25".  Searches keep showing me the 25" blocks were 230's, and the larger 250(?) and 265, and apparently a 25" 218 doesn't exist.

I'm after a twin carb manifold but no one seems to list if there manifolds fit 23" or 25" blocks.  Who makes manifolds to suit the 25" block?  

I'm also after the split exhaust headers but will have to be creative due to the steering box location.

Has anyone in Australia done RHD rack and pinion conversion, diff swap (for different gears), and disc brake conversion.  Just interested what local parts you used.

Thanks

The 218  ....  3 3/8 by 4 1/16 .....were the mainstay of Plymouth and small Dodge from 1939 to 1953 in Canada.

25 inch engines  included a 201 !   218  228  236  241  251 and 265.    Edmonds made a twin carb manifold for the 25 inch engine.

Ausstromer..............the 23" long engine is 201/217 and 230 cubes and is the Plymouth/Dodge based engine...........the 25" engine is 218.8/228/250.5 or 251(depending on how pedantic you are) and 265 cubes........the 25" engine is sometimes referred to in OZ only as a "KEW" engine and may or may not have the letters "KEW" stamped into the engine number boss........do NOT mention the KEW thing when talking to the Yanks as they will have no idea what you mean........the 217/218 and 228/230 engines sizes are NOT from the same engine, ie, about the only parts that interchange between the 23 and 25 inch engines is probably the water pump as intake & exhaust manifolds and internal engine parts are all different from one engine length to the other................now this is where it gets REALLY confusing.......my info from a 1954 Oz Chrysler workshop manual shows the P25's to be 1954 models , with THREE different size engines available..........if its a P25/1 or P25/2 with an engine number after 243,000 then its a 230 cube 23" engine.....if its a P25/1 or P25/2 with engine number suffixed "C" then its  228 cube 25" engine and finally if its a P25/3 or P25/4 with engine number prefixed "KEW" then its a 250 cube 25" long engine...............you need to find out exactly what you have.............if its a 1952 Plymouth then it is a P23...........but if its the original engine and its a P25 then you have a 1954 model..........have you a pic?..............anyway if you want my phone number is 02 66 425963 and am available any time..........welcome aboard.......BTW with it being an O/D equiped car then it should be the 2nd version, ie with the "C" after the actual number, 25" long and 228 cubes............regards,Andy Douglas.........give me a call..........andyd

Edited by Andydodge

Thanks for the info.  I'll give you a call Andy.  

For everyone else it's P25 / 2 / C.  So it looks like it's a 228, 25".  

And I guess I need to keep a lookout for a Edmonds manifold.

Earl Edgerton has done a finned 25" head tho' the Montana Dodge Boys are now the contacts for his stuff.........and were you aware that Oz Holden 6 intake manifolds fit the mopar 6.....ie, the sideplate or grey engine intakes will fit the 23" engine and the 149-202 or red intake will fit the 25" engine.....the caveat is that as the Holden intake is on the opposite side the carbys face forward so you either have to have the carby surface milled or run an angled adaptor but Holden intakes have been used in the past.........also single barrel Holden Strombergs from the early 60's to mid 70's fit the stock mopar and are easier to find bits for here in Oz.........this was a 230 I was building with an Edgy Head, Offy intake, I had a local blacksmith weld up the ends of the pair of exhaust manifolds I chopped up, and thats a Holden water pump on the engine with an adaptor that the block came with...........andyd

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Edited by Andydodge

Good to talk today, my email is scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au ..........as mentioned on my 40 Dodge I used P76 discs & calipers on the front with an EA/EB Ford wagon diff disc to disc on the rear, bolted onto the 40 springs......heres a pic of the 'ol brown turd and the 41 Plymouth.........regards, andyd

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

9 hours ago, Ausstromer said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll give you a call Andy.  

For everyone else it's P25 / 2 / C.  So it looks like it's a 228, 25".  

And I guess I need to keep a lookout for a Edmonds manifold.

The Edmund's intake I have is marked "Chrysler 6" to identify for the longer heads.

George Asche dual or tri carb intakes.

Split exhaust too or buy Langdon headers. 

Georges are either stock made in dual ir tri or brand new cast tri carb intakes.

He makes great linkage sets too