Got my 1.5 ton home today

Hi all, I successfully got my 1949 1.5 ton pilothouse truck home today.  It was a bit of a sketchy haul as my tow vehicle was a hair smaller than I would have liked and the trailer was really marginal for a truck this big.  The back of the dump bed hung over the end of the trailer about 3 feet.  When we were winching the truck onto the trailer, the winch stopped (due to tripping a breaker) with the truck's back wheels squarely on the middle of the ramp.  I watched the ramp slowly yield and buckle to the ground.  Definitely a freaky feeling.

I couldn't really go above 40 mph towing here home as it got squirrely above that.  Had a stiff wind all the way home and lots of hills, but we got through it.  All in all, it was an experience and I'm glad it's over.  The trailer was rated at 7,000#, which I'm sure I was either at or slightly over with the truck on there.  If I could do it again, I probably would pay somebody to drag a big flat bed tow truck out there and drop it off at my house.

IMG_4497.JPG

• Like 2

There is one on ebay a 52 i think with an Ellis intake -- a little price but if your a fan a Great buy, i have his # if u are really interested.  Charlie Stephenson

Dang mavman! That is one stuffed trailer!  :D

Glad you got him home without incident..

looks like a great truck.

12 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Dang mavman! That is one stuffed trailer!  :D

Glad you got him home without incident..

looks like a great truck.

Yeah, it looks pretty ridiculous in the picture doesn't it?  One wheel bearing on my trailer was puking out grease and very hot when I rolled up in front of my house.  Not sure how much longer it would have stayed together.  Think we dodged a bullet (no pun intended) getting it home on that trailer without incident.

Anyway, it's a 1949 B-1-F 1.5 ton with a 152" wheelbase.  The stakeside flatbed on it is a bit flimsy, but it will work well for dumping loads of stuff.  Could also put more of a standard bed on the back and keep the dump ram on it.

I like it. It reminds me of "Wallytoo"  truck. Check out his bed and what he hauls if your looking for ideas. Photos Also found in the "club"