Going to see an orphan - a Powell truck

They built a truck and a sport wagon.  We are going to look at a truck.  Powell's were built only in the early '50's in California (just over a 1000 were built).  Used a '41 Plymouth frame and drive train, made their own body.  Simplistic and pretty damn ugly with a fiberglass nose.  You can find more on them on Allpar.  It's a barn find that needs restoration that I may have to talk myself out of...

5155396596_04ebb3c623_b.jpg

• Like 2

I stayed away from an auction today so I wouldn't bring anything home.  auction consisted of over 70 early sixties's and older cars, including the iconic 51 Merc 2 dr coupe, a 59 2 dr Impala, Model A's, a couple of Canadian Plymouths, 57 Volkswagon convertible, HD motorcycle parts, bikes, golfcarts  scooters, trim pieces and hood ornaments.  Easier to stay away than go and say no when the bidding starts.

Edited by Dave72dt

I'm down to 5 projects at the moment, 1 of them needs to be finished or usable by the end of May for camper duty.  I told her no more several years ago (8- 10), until at least one of my personal projects is done but between family members bending or breaking or dropping off their stuff, I get little time for my own.  I did drag a 86 VW Cabriolet home a couple of years ago and got the "look".  Told her I had no intentions of keeping it and did send in on to a new owner a couple of months ago.  Grand daughter just loves it.

Question is whether Bobacuda now has his own Powell to admire or is testing his resistance.

On 4/21/2018 at 8:28 PM, lonejacklarry said:

How else are you going to get that "look" when you get home and roll something off a trailer onto the driveway?

I get that look from just looking at "Craig's list" :lol:

bobacuda... Doooo it, doooo it, doooo it! :lol: (just kidding, don't tell your wife I encouraged you) 

The Powell was just too rough.  The rust and bondo were everywhere, but the panels could probably be made and replaced by an untested rookie body man (like me).  The big body problems was a crushed driver's door, the fiberglass nose is now mostly bondo and missing small parts.  It would cost a lot to put it back on the road, or you would have to pull the body, make the multitude of repairs and then put it on another frame.  It was damn unique, but we chose to walk away.  The photos don't do the rust justice.  I'll try to add photos.

IMG_1141.JPG

• Like 1

Front view.  Things I noticed that the truck is missing are nameplates, all trim, glass, side window apparatus, anything remotely resembling an interior, drive shaft, radiator and brake pedal.  Even the headlight buckets were rusted out.

IMG_1143.JPG

• Like 1

on orphan cars.....this car is not only orphan by the company...it is also orphaned by the fact the country of origin no longer exists.....(well as original named)  and I am supposed to pic one of these up this week and deliver it to its new home.....

not photo of car...snagged from internet....not seen the car I am supposed to load and tote...

yugo.jpg

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

on orphan cars.....this car is not only orphan by the company...it is also orphaned by the fact the country of origin no longer exists.....(well as original named)  and I am supposed to pic one of these up this week and deliver it to its new home.....

not photo of car...snagged from internet....not seen the car I am supposed to load and tote...

you know what "YUGO" is for right? ..... wait for it....... You go crazy trying to go 55mph

you know why they put a rear windshield defroster in the YUGO?....... to keep your hands warm while your pushing it.  

those were the standing "Jokes" when I worked in the "lube industry" (aka Q-lube and Jiffy lube) at times, we were bored :D

• Haha 1

funny today the hemmings blog headline is an auction in CA for someone who had 6 of these trucks. 

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/04/23/six-powells-among-host-of-independents-at-barnyard-auction/?refer=news

54 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

funny today the hemmings blog headline is an auction in CA for someone who had 6 of these trucks. 

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/04/23/six-powells-among-host-of-independents-at-barnyard-auction/?refer=news

and you ask me how many of a particular car I have.........:eek:

• Like 1

I found out that auction I had mentioned didn't contain any quality pieces.  Everything had been pulled out of he dirt all had settled into the ground years ago.  Best stuff was going for 4-500 bucks, probably for the trim or the weight of iron for salvage.  What a waste, guy wouldn't part with any of it when it was still good.

8 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

I found out that auction I had mentioned didn't contain any quality pieces.  Everything had been pulled out of he dirt all had settled into the ground years ago.  Best stuff was going for 4-500 bucks, probably for the trim or the weight of iron for salvage.  What a waste, guy wouldn't part with any of it when it was still good.

yeah..may have been a waste but certain it seems he had his reasons for what he did...whether we agree with it or not.....if the world was directed by my whims and wiles...most of you folks would be going to work on roller skates....:lol:

• Like 1

I can't blame him for collecting them, I'd have a lot more if I had the space and finances and I have a hard time letting anything go  I'm sure it was painful to watch them all go and moreso if they come in with a clam truck to  load them.  They had well over 400 bidders so some, or parts of some may .get used to put one back together and hit the road.