Waaaay Off - Right?

well, by looking...the rod seems to be the real problem...if the resistor is good and of proper value...and price was reasonable..you can tweak the rod and change it out as it appears to be one you can just loosen the clamp nut and away you go....at the most, cut and weld the rod for the length and definitely use the newer float...

ELSE

return it...

Funny, they usually come with the rod longer, and you cut to fit your application.  I would bend a coat hanger or very thin rod and make a whole new arm...that stuff never welds well..cheap metal, melts or becomes brittle 

I wonder if it is a issue at all?

As long as it shows full when at the top and has enough travel to show empty at the botton, seems like it would work just as well as the original.

It may not go all the way to the bottom of the tank in current form, that would mean you have a couple gallons in the tank and gage reads empty ... not bad to have reserve?

I would try it as is and play with it, it just may be fine.

Talked to somebody at DCM Classics where I bought it. It was explained to me that this sender is for a car, yet works in the truck. It was suggested I braze additional rod to lengthen it. That sounds like fun. Isn't brazing like soldering? I'll hit YouTube and see what I can figure out. 

23 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

Talked to somebody at DCM Classics where I bought it. It was explained to me that this sender is for a car, yet works in the truck. It was suggested I braze additional rod to lengthen it. That sounds like fun. Isn't brazing like soldering? I'll hit YouTube and see what I can figure out. 

shouldn't they have warned you it needed to be modified before purchase?

Yeah, that would have been nice. I can't say they didn't, even though I don't have any recollection of it, then I'm 65 years old and am starting to forget things :cool:

What chaps my hyde about it is the lack of a new rubber seal. I'll have to 'refresh' my existing seal. I hear peanut butter works well, or glycerine and wintergreen oil.