Set the timing with the oil pump?

MikeV

Recently, I decided to replace the original oil pump on my ‘52 Dodge P/u thinking that it may be the reason for some of my low oil pressure problems.

What I didn’t know, was that the distributor shaft connects to the oil pump via a slot at the end of the oil drive shaft.

after removing my old pump and installing the new oil pump, my timing is off, and although I get good oil pressure, the engine won’t start.

So, what is the best way to get the oil pump and the distributor lined up to get the correct timing?

after thinking it through, I understand that the slot in the oil pump must align with the key at the end of the distributor shaft so that the number one cylinder spark plug fires at the piston at TDC. What is the best way to do this?

thanks guys for your thoughts!

Mike

Rotate your distributor shaft 180 degrees. If your truck was running before, your probably put the disturb in 180 degrees out. For the flathead 6 engines, with the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke, your distributor rotor should be at about the 7 oclock position.

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

Thanks Joe for your input!

i looked at my rotor after turning the engine over with the plugs removed and my thumb on the number one cylinder spark plug hole to check for the compression stroke. I also, noticed that my timing mark on the engine pulley was pretty much aligned with the pointer on the engine block. The rotor was pointing more like the eight O’clock position. Maybe that’s why the truck wouldn’t start.

if he dropped the oil pump the timing reference could be almost anywhere now and rotating it 180 will not be of use...you must go back and ensure that #1 is TDC and then look at what plug wire tower it is point at the distributor cap....typically on install you want the slot running from 7 to 1 on the ole imaginary clock when at TDC #1

• Like 2

I’m sure that I have TDC on the number one cylinder and the rotor is pointing at the 7 O’clock position.

the problem is, every time I insert the oil pump into the block after carefully looking into the hole where the oil pump goes  ( I can see the key on the distributor shaft and I try to align the slot in the oil pump to that position) the rotor moves out of the 7 O’clock position on the distributor.

I'm trying to figure out how to insert the oil pump without moving the rotor out of the 7 O’clock position?

Ever think about inserting the oil pump first and then the distributor? And if the distributor is not indexed correctly then remove the oil pump and the distributor and turn the oil pump until the distributor is correctly indexed? I believe this is covered in the service manual.

• Like 3

Do it right one last time. Pull your distributor, pull your oil pump. Turn the engine to #1 firing position. Remount the the oil pump correctly (check the manual), then remount the distributor and the rotor should be pointing at 7 o'clock. That way the next guy who has to work on it won't be scratching his head when you forget what you originally did :D

• Like 1

My engine was rebuilt by a professional engine rebuilder familiar with these engines but had not done one for a long time. He admits he got the oil pump in out of position but the distributor still turns and the engine runs great and was easy to time. Number 1 spark plug wire is around 11 o'clock. I'm not going to worry about it and if the next owner down the road wants to change it or has trouble, I'll be either dead or too old to care.

• 2 years later...