Wedgewood blue

LazyK

looking for the paint formula for 1951 wedge wood blue. I talked to PPG and they told me they do not have it. They can find the chip, in old catalogs,  but dont know the formula. Never though it would be a problem so I have nothing to reference to as the entire car has been stripped. 

Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

Is it completely stripped, even the jambs? If there is any color left, most paint jobbers have cameras that can take a picture of it and come up with a formula.

complete stripped and what little remained is covered by a coat of epoxy primer.

7 hours ago, Young Ed said:

did you try auto color library?

Thank you, this looks like my best option so far.

has anyone used their paint? how is the quality? for the amount of time and work put in to this restoration I don't want the paint to be the low point 

I have had to match paint from the small color chips in the books many times. Maybe find a shop that has a painter with good color matching skills and have them mix it for you. You're painting the whole car so it doesn't have to match any existing panels. Too bad you are so far from me, I would be happy to do it. One of my favorite things about being a painter is color matching.

Some autopaint supply stores can color match if you have a sample of the color you are trying to match.  They may have generic color charts as well for you to look at to get a match. Some NAPA stores mix paint as well and may be able to help you. If you don't have a sample. I'd print out a picture of wedgewood blue off the internet to help you get near the color you want.  On a repaint close counts and as a bonus you will have some leftover paint for touchup.

I think the 51/52 Wedgewood blue is one of the nicest colors available for these models.  I have an original finish Wedgewood here but I am not sure I have would trust a color reader on the panels as the paint is as old as it is and suffered exposure.  I know we all want to put these cars back as best we can to factory but with the paint formulas changing in resins and pigments over the years the original contents are no longer available and any paint you get today will be the 'jobbers' best rendition he can mix with todays formulas.   As you have the entire body voided of original paint, there will be no parts where a difference in blended or color tweaks will show...chose your best color in a paint brand and system you wish to shoot and basically let the big dog eat....If you are not painting this car yourself, some painters will not shoot outside of their preferred system..if this is the case check with your painter and solicit his advice and lead on paint available.

• Thanks 1

Our color camera strongly suggests using some rubbing compound and buffing an area before attempting a reading. I wouldn't trust any internet picture for a color match and paint code.  Color translation between the camera that took the picture, the computer that uploaded the pic to the computer that downloaded and the monitor used can vary the color immensely from what the color is and what you see.  I've done one color from color library, sprayed ok, is a non activated base and heard rumors it's the same as PPG Omni although I have no way to confirm that.  Try a different brand paint jobber who may be able to get you a formula number for current toners that may be able to be crossed over to your desired brand.  I know Axalta has done some for me that have been in the 90+  % match to the original.

Another thought....

Wedgewood Blue is the name of a particular shade of light blue used on Wedgewood china dinnerware.   The paint color and dinnerware color are the same.  Mopar may have had a deal with the dinnerware manufacturer to copy their color.   Buy a plate off eBay and scan that to get a color formula!  Try this link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wedgwood-Jasperware-Decorative-Plate-White-On-Blue-Grecian/253576637861?hash=item3b0a586da5:g:eawAAOSwx8pa0sjJ

Edited by JerseyHarold