Another cunning mod...

Wiggo

OK, so I'm rewiring the D20 and the dash has no idiot lights. I wanted repeaters for the indicators, because the relay is very, very quiet, and I wanted an oil pressure and ignition warning, as well as main beam. Five simple lights, and nowhere to put them...

So, this is a cheapo exhaust tip. It will become a polished stainless steel housing...

IMG_20180419_182152.jpg

Back to Autodesk to design a display and bulb holder:

idiotlights.jpg

And an hour on the 3D printer...

IMG_20180419_182215.jpg

IMG_20180419_182221.jpg

IMG_20180419_182229.jpg

IMG_20180419_182242.jpg

Cut the exhaust tip to the right profile...

IMG_20180420_121310.jpg

Fit the light holder:

IMG_20180420_121336.jpg

A bit of trimming to do still, but it should work...

IMG_20180420_122121.jpg

Edited by Wiggo
  • Like 4

I'll post a pic shortly, but I moved it in the end and inset the cluster into the dash just under the wiper switch. The indicator and main beam warnings are simply run in parallel with the lights they are meant to show, so they're easy. For the oil warning and ignition lights, bear in mind I no longer have the flat head, but someone dropped an SBC in there many, many years ago. I replaced the oil pressure takeoff with a remote mounted T piece, so now one outlet has a pipe that runs to the existing oil pressure gauge, and the other has a conventional oil pressure switch that is wired to my little light cluster. The ignition warning light is just run between the ignition output from the ignition switch and the ammeter input from the alternator...

I will get a wiring diagram up later...