Vac assisted electric wipers?

matt167

I'm in the process of going through my 1950 Plymouth Special Dlx. Have Scarebird disc kit on the way and a Military Jr canister from VPW on the way ( gave up on the spin on adapter. won't easily fit )..

I actually had to drive the old car the other day when my DD gave up and had to get to work. It actually rained and the wipers worked well at cruise but obviously under load, no wiper so I had to let off to get a wipe up hills, and then get back on the gas. driving like it was 60 years ago...It got me thinking, I had a 1965 Rambler with vac wipers but had a pump in the fuel pump as an assist and they were rock solid.. 12v electric vac pumps are pretty cheap and 6v-12v converters are pretty cheap too. Could I put a vac pump in series with a check valve right before it? The Dorman pump for later model F series Diesels are like $60

How would I wire the 6-12v converter? I'm looking at the ones that can be had for $30 and have 2 grounds, a red and a yellow. I know they say - ground only, but the comments on Amazon suggest they work fine on pos ground.. My regular PC fried and I'm operating on a backup otherwise I would have good links and stuff.

a cheaper solution is just to add a vacuum reservoir.  You can get them from old cars or just buy a new metal one from most hot rod catalogs.  They have a check valve that hold vacuum even when you stand on the gas.  Works well.

Marty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martybose said:

a cheaper solution is just to add a vacuum reservoir.  You can get them from old cars or just buy a new metal one from most hot rod catalogs.  They have a check valve that hold vacuum even when you stand on the gas.  Works well.

Marty

vacres.jpg