'47 P15 Starter & Generator Rebuild, also Fuel Tank

47P15Cruiser

Hey everyone so my generator stopped working and also my starter so I figured to keep it original I wanna do a rebuild on both and hopefully everything works out so if any out there that was done this before please I would appreciate the help. and also the fuel tank is leaking from where its welded together so ima just replace the whole tank but never done one so any tips would be very helpful, Keep me updated y'all LOL

fullsizeoutput_1c.jpeg

Just now, 47P15Cruiser said:

Hey everyone so my generator stopped working and also my starter so I figured to keep it original I wanna do a rebuild on both and hopefully everything works out so if any out there that was done this before please I would appreciate the help. and also the fuel tank is leaking from where its welded together so ima just replace the whole tank but never done one so any tips would be very helpful, Keep me updated y'all LOL

fullsizeoutput_1c.jpeg this is the '47 im working on! before it broke down lol

Starters and generators are pretty straightforward.  Usually cleaning and new brushes will bring a generator back to life.

Same with the starter, but brushes are usually OK.  Look for wear in the bushings.  Best, if you are new to the game is to find a GOOD auto electric shop.

It is strange that both would stop working at the same time.  Are there any other electrical issues which may have contributed?   Like a bad main connection at the starter relay ?

As for the tank, there are sources for new ones if yours is beyond repair.  When you remove the fuel line from your tank, there is a little olive shaped insert inside the fitting on the tank which makes the seal between the fuel line and the tank's dip tube.  Don't lose it !

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I figured I took it apart and yea the brushes were done lol but I think I need a new bushing but I rather have it done then me doing it myself.as for the gas tank I'ma do it on my next day off,how would you suggest to start removing it?

• 1 month later...

As far as removing the gas tank you need to disconnect the wires to the gas sending unit or take it completely out first and be sure to take the filler hose off the fill tube. In my P15 there are two bolt heads in the trunk one on each side toward the trunk lid opening that are I think 11/16 or maybe 3/4 that are attached to the straps that hold the tank up. You will need a floor jack to hold the tank up while you unscrew them. After you remove them you will see that they are a female threaded nut that are about two inches in length. The tank should come out when the straps are all the way down. Oh yes don't forget to disconnect the fuel line too. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2018 at 9:24 PM, Labrauer said:

As far as removing the gas tank you need to disconnect the wires to the gas sending unit or take it completely out first and be sure to take the filler hose off the fill tube. In my P15 there are two bolt heads in the trunk one on each side toward the trunk lid opening that are I think 11/16 or maybe 3/4 that are attached to the straps that hold the tank up. You will need a floor jack to hold the tank up while you unscrew them. After you remove them you will see that they are a female threaded nut that are about two inches in length. The tank should come out when the straps are all the way down. Oh yes don't forget to disconnect the fuel line too. 

@Labrauer hey sorry for not looking at your post but am now had got distracted in fixing my dads 47 with life but now getting back into it but I appreciate your help and advise. will try what you said on my next day off and appreciate you and hopefully if I have any trouble I can contact you if thats ok

I'm in the middle of going over the gen and starter on my '48 Desoto. Here's some info I collected, not specific to your vehicle, but all Autolite stuff. 

Willys starter rebuild https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=233149

40 Dodge truck gen rebuild: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=233149

Jeep gen (useful stuff here) http://legacy.1944gpw.com/c-93-G503_WWII_Jeep_6_volt_Autolite_Generator_Rebuild_Restore.aspx

This guy's video series is gold. Jeep Autolite gen rebuild:

I also found a Mac tools growler. Looks fun and dangerous. I'm planning to take the armatures to a shop, and have them true them up, since I don't have a lathe.

One gotcha, the field coil screws. Those suckers are stuck in there. It seems impossible to get them out without having your screwdriver blade ride out of the slot and making dogmeat out of them, no matter how careful you (me) are. The professional rebuilders have a machine for cranking them out without butchering the slot, which you can see in an old Motors manual, in the generator chapter. I'm planning on making a redneck version of this tool, using allthread and 2x4s, which will clamp down on a screwdriver socket, with a hole to access it with an extension and breaker bar. They're countersink screws, and rumor is they're 82 degree, in which case, you can get replacements from McMasterCarr, but don't quote me. Bushings and bearings, are common off-the-shelf stuff. I'm replacing my bearings with sealed bearings, and I'll block off the grease fitting hole. 

Edited by ratbailey

all of what was said here was right on the money but nobody mentioned to disconnect the battery before taking the tank out.one good spark under there and all will be lost . i know most here have years of experience under there belts but some are really working on cars for the first time.its just smart to include some things that most take for granted .thanks for all your help i'm still learning lots

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 3:38 PM, dpollo said:

Starters and generators are pretty straightforward.  Usually cleaning and new brushes will bring a generator back to life.

Same with the starter, but brushes are usually OK.  Look for wear in the bushings.  Best, if you are new to the game is to find a GOOD auto electric shop.

It is strange that both would stop working at the same time.  Are there any other electrical issues which may have contributed?   Like a bad main connection at the starter relay ?

As for the tank, there are sources for new ones if yours is beyond repair.  When you remove the fuel line from your tank, there is a little olive shaped insert inside the fitting on the tank which makes the seal between the fuel line and the tank's dip tube.  Don't lose it !

do know the size , pic?, of the olive shaped insert, mine was not present.

cudan

I replaced my fuel tank. Bought it on EBay for a decent price, like $230 or so.  The biggest thing to remember is to get in the trunk and find a round metal plate covering the top of the tank where the wires are for the gas sending unit. My carpet was in perfect shape, but had to hack it to get to the plate, as well as the bolts for the tank straps!  All in all, it’s a pretty easy job.  But, like others have said, make sure you don’t lose the ferrel, and empty the tank first!