Remote oil filter leaking

BillyBoySmith

Hi, after fully rebuilding the engine for my '49 Wayfarer business coupe, I was very happy to see that it doesn't have any leaks - EXCEPT FOR - the remote oil filter. - - the pipe seals and the main cap seal are good, but it leaks around the large nut that tightens the cap down. can anyone tell me how to separate the nut from the cap so that I can renew or make a seal for it ?? regards, BB.

If this is just a normal canister oil filter that uses a replaceable element then that nut on the top of the filter usually has either a fibre or copper washer between it and the canister body so I'd just check that it has and replace the old washer or install one.........when you undo the nut doesn't it come away from the filter cap?........andyd      

As I recall, some of the  nuts are lightly pressed on.   Others come off more easily so the fiber washer andyd mentioned is more easily replaced.

On close inspection, it seems that the internally threaded shank on the hold-down nut is slightly staked (peened over ?) in 3 places to hold the spring loaded filter retainer in place. looks like it can be separated. If I file down the raised stakes, separate, replace the main copper washer, re-assemble, and re-stake. Motto - Where there's a Bill, there has to be a way. Lol. Thanks for replies guys.

20 hours ago, Andydodge said:

If this is just a normal canister oil filter that uses a replaceable element then that nut on the top of the filter usually has either a fibre or copper washer between it and the canister body so I'd just check that it has and replace the old washer or install one.........when you undo the nut doesn't it come away from the filter cap?........andyd      

That's what I attempted to do andyd, finally worked out how to do it. Thanks for your advice.