6 or 12 volt question

Tim Van Pelt

Would a 1959 dodge cube van be six or twelve volt? 

I thought I had heard it was 12 . Last night I went down with a new 12 volt batt. to fire my 1959 motor that will power my little single seat project. Hooked the batt. up pored some gas down the carb and turned the key, the motor turned over and hit but didnt run. Pored some more fuel down the carb and left the key in the run position by accident and the voltage reducer started smoking and then no spark. 

So my guess it is a six volt system. I just want to get the motor running long enough to here it  before I pull it out.

did you personally take this out of a 59 vehicle? lots of flatheads got swapped around back in the day. Look for green tags on the starter and gen. If they are red that's 6v stuff. 

8 hours ago, Young Ed said:

did you personally take this out of a 59 vehicle? lots of flatheads got swapped around back in the day. Look for green tags on the starter and gen. If they are red that's 6v stuff. 

I have not taken the motor out. I want to get it running before i pull it. The numbers on the block say its a 59 in a 59 cube van so I'm guessing its the original.

8 hours ago, busycoupe said:

If by voltage reducer you mean a ceramic resister on the firewall, then you hav a 12v system. The ceramic resister is to reduce 12v to 6V for the coil.  It is not used in a 6V system

The ceramic resister is mounted on the motor. I.m guessing that since this is a cube van things might be different.

What was the resistor wired to? Where is it mounted on the motor?

What transmission does the van have?

DJ

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

What was the resistor wired to? Where is it mounted on the motor?

What transmission does the van have?

DJ

Its right above the distributor, didnt trace the wires but I'm sure they went to the coil. The van has a pushbutton auto.

Edited by Tim Van Pelt