OK, so here's a cunning mod for you...

Wiggo

Everyone's seen one of these, or something like it, right?

Temp0000.jpg

NOS ones are silly money: I know they can be repaired, but it's messy and it still might not work. This is the internals of a $15 Smiths electrical temperature gauge:

Temp000.jpg

Now this looks like it might just work...

Temp0.jpg

First, we need some 3D printed parts, so so here we go with Autodesk Fusion 360. 

CAD2.JPG

CAD1.JPG

45 minutes later:

Temp1.jpg

A couple of 8mm holes for the terminal posts...

Temp2.jpg

Now we can start to assemble the meter:

Temp3.jpg

The dial is assembled to the support bracket:

Temp4.jpg

And there you have a 12V electrical temperature gauge for the Dodge...

Temp5.jpg

Edited by Wiggo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while doable, I find it funny that it is a cheap[o 15.00 gauge yet no mention of the 3D printer parts cost........call me gun shy but how about total cost if you got a new cat skinner

Well, a new cat skinner might be handy, but I already have a 3D printer that is getting close to having paid for itself in little jobs like this...

To be fair, you could also have made the brackets out of a bit of bent up tin can and some epoxy resin, but 3D printing's way more fun.

Edited by Wiggo

as you have printed this yourself, cost of printer aside, cost of software aside....what would be your charge to a customer (fair market value) of your drawing and printing of said parts....can you ball park this assuming someone may wish to skin a cat at home...curious, color me old school with a couple of lathes and other metal working tools...thanks

17 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

as you have printed this yourself, cost of printer aside, cost of software aside....what would be your charge to a customer (fair market value) of your drawing and printing of said parts....can you ball park this assuming someone may wish to skin a cat at home...curious, color me old school with a couple of lathes and other metal working tools...thanks

Interesting question! I don't really know, to be honest. I think it was about $1.50 in plastic for the printer. I'm not exactly going to sell these by the million, so it's never going to be my retirement fund. Maybe $10, posted? Who knows? 

thanks for the reply.....I know the major cost  is in setting up.....and as you said getting a return on your money by small piece here and there takes lots of time.  I am sure I am not ahead on the cost of my little machine shop except in the pure fun of having the ability to do the work myself for many small projects at the drop of a hat...heck I will even drop the hat if I feel creative 

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

thanks for the reply.....I know the major cost  is in setting up.....and as you said getting a return on your money by small piece here and there takes lots of time.  I am sure I am not ahead on the cost of my little machine shop except in the pure fun of having the ability to do the work myself for many small projects at the drop of a hat...heck I will even drop the hat if I feel creative 

Same here. I have already sunk the money into the printer, so any excuse to use it is good enough.

And anyway, I will be using it again shortly for the warning light panel...

Nice to see someone else on here with some CAD skills and a 3D printer. That is a pretty good use for a home FDM style printer. I've used nearly all the different additive manufacturing processes in some way or another within the last couple of years. Right now I'm working on a design that I will have 3D printed directly into sand and then pour some aluminum.... :D Easily the cheapest way to get a couple of highly detailed castings without sinking money into all the complicated patterns.

4 hours ago, Wiggo said:

Everyone's seen one of these, or something like it, right?

Temp0000.jpg

NOS ones are silly money: I know they can be repaired, but it's messy and it still might not work. This is the internals of a $15 Smiths electrical temperature gauge:

Temp000.jpg

Now this looks like it might just work...

Temp0.jpg

First, we need some 3D printed parts, so so here we go with Autodesk Fusion 360. 

CAD2.JPG

CAD1.JPG

45 minutes later:

Temp1.jpg

A couple of 8mm holes for the terminal posts...

Temp2.jpg

Now we can start to assemble the meter:

Temp3.jpg

The dial is assembled to the support bracket:

Temp4.jpg

And there you have a 12V electrical temperature gauge for the Dodge...

Temp5.jpg

Looks like you have more time and talent, than wanting to spend all that " bloody" money on NOS parts.....lol

What you created is most likely better thsn NOS.