Fuelling multiple carbs

Kiwicranbrook

For those of you who have dual or even triple carbs, are you running the factory fuel pump or have you upgraded to electric? My fuel pump is starting to seep fuel out and I'm wondering if it's worth replacing as I am planning on upgrading the manifold shortly. 

Thanks

Unrestricted flow from a mechanical fuel pump I believe should be approximately 1 quart/min at 500 RPM - I could be wrong.:)

Airtech (I think that's the name) makes a remanufactured fuel pump that had serious reliablity issues--personallyI tried 3 different ones--the best lasted 3,000 miles  and the other two lasted less than 5 minutes.  Now my experience is 3 years old so things may hav changed but I had no problems once I used the rebuild kit from then and now....had over 5,000 miles on the rebuilt fuel pump when I sold my car and it was still running strong with no leaks

for anyone getting a fuel pump these days, seems the most common failure is the pivot pin....a close inspection of this and maybe an investment of an additional 1.50 buying a suitable high grade substitute pin from the hardware store will give you some longevity.  You need a quality pivot point as there is a bit of pressure when in operation combined with the fact it's operation cycle is once per cam revolution....lots of stress, cheap will not withstand the punishment..

Run the dual carter/weber carbs and run a 6volt posi grd carter electric fuel pump. Didn't care for the closeness on my dual exhaust to the factory fuel pump. Removed the factory pump and made a block off plate set the fuel pressure regulator to 4 psi and so far the system runs flawlessly 

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Cheers John, that's the way I have decided to go, for the same reason. Would be annoying to rebuild the fuel pump only to find it's in the way when I change manifolds. Only issue I can see is finding somewhere at the back to mount the fuel pump. As far as I'm aware the pump should be lower than the tank? 

I tryed the stock fuel pump when I first added the dual Fenton style manifolds but soon found that vapor lock was a problem. Tryed making heat shields but would always get some drive ability problem. Moved fuel lines and has run with the electric pump without any problems. Mounted the electric fuel pump to the left rear frame rail just forward of the fuel tank.  The spin on oil filter housing is an OTB item. They make some really nice period looking items.  I have several items from OTB on my wagon. They will also do some custom stuff. I agree about the fuel quality and the vapor rate problems. Methanol sucks