Straight 6 Engine 218 CI - Rebuild

Coolaidcop

I have a 1949 Plymouth Sedan Deluxe with a 218 CI straight 6.   The car is the body style of the 1946-48 Plymouth sedan, and I am told that it was a very early 49, which for a short time, was the same body as the 46-48 versions.  My question is this, everything on the car relates to 46-48....I'm getting ready to purchase an overhaul kit to rebuild the engine.  Is it safe to say its the 1946-48 version of the P-15 straight 6 engine?  I understand there is some type of engine change for true 49's.  Anyone have any info on differences of the engine from 48 to 49?  Thanks for any help.

IMG_8294.JPG

Look at the engine # on drivers side above the generator/alternator if updated. It is just above them on a flat area just below the head. Could be a motor from any Mopar flat 6 of the era up to 1956.

Start with a P or D, S or C. Brand of car only. #'s after tell the year the motor came from if not the original motor. Very common to find them changed, No big deal.

Post the motor # and someone will ID it for you.

Nice car!! Oh ya, more pictures of the car!  ;)

DJ

A lot of times due to milage a rebuild at the machine shop for these engines calls for a cam regrind, turning the crank and boring the cylinders. In which case your machinist will usually get new pistons, rings and the appropriate rod and main bearings for you.

As Greg stated above everything else like fuel, water pumps, gaskets are going to be the same.

DJ stated to check the ID number and find out what year the engine was produced just to be sure which would be a good thing to do before you buy anything. At least when you do ask for anything you will be able to give them the year of the engine. I have a 1950 218 in my 39 P8. So when I shop for engine parts naturally I say its a 1950 218.

3 hours ago, Coolaidcop said:

I'm getting ready to purchase an overhaul kit to rebuild the engine.  

If your rebuild kit includes new pistons you need to wait until the machine work is done to see if you need oversize pistons . And other over sized parts . 

4 hours ago, greg g said:

A 218 is a 218 across the series.  Some external accessories may be slightly but inside they are the same.

I doubt that a Canuck would get so far from home but here, a 218 has a 3 3/8 bore and a 4 1/16  stroke, very different from what we called a 217.

It was found in Plymouth and the smaller Dodge from 1939 to mid 1954 when the stroke was increased and it became a 228 already in use in the larger Dodge.

These engines were 25 inches along the head and shared bearings and gaskets with the Chrysler.

As for  Coolaidcop's car he can safely assume there are no practical differences between 48 and 49 but at this late date, as already mentioned, he should tear the engine down first to determine bore size and crankshaft journal size.

My grandfather bought a new P15 in Feb. 49.   It was a "coach" or two door sedan.  I regret that I was unable to purchase it when he died in 1962. At that time it had traveled 55000 miles

and the seats had never had the covers removed. A very nice car.

WOW! Thank you all so much for the input, logged in this morning and found a wealth of knowledge.  You gentlemen know your cars.  I will get the engine number this evening and put it up here to help identify it.  AS for pictures, let me see if it will let me upload some more. 

IMG_8293.JPG