'55 Dodge Pilothouse project

Good afternoon,

I am completely new to this forum, but not forums in general. I have rebuilt a 1950 Ford 8N tractor and a JD MT tractor, both from the ground up, so I know my way around a garage. They are both now 'garage queens'. I recently purchased a 1955 Dodge C10 pickup (that is exactly as it appears on the title). You can see the outlines on the hood showing it is a Pilothouse. Also, on the title the body style is a 'TK'. I am assuming that simply means 'truck'. I am intending on restoring this from the ground up and using it only on Sundays for Ice Cream and shows (great weather only).

I have it stripped completely down to the frame ready for blasting and painting. However, I need to replace a couple of items before that is done. On the rear, where the leaf springs hang the "baskets" (that is what I call them, I am sure it is not correct), I need to replace one of them. If I am going to replace one, I plan on replacing all four. This "basket" is not the shackle that the spring actually hooks to, but what the shackle hooks to. It (the basket) is riveted to the frame.

Also, on the front where the leaf springs hang as well, I need to replace those as well (although this is a different setup from the rear).

My deeper question is where do I go to get a catalog? Hard copy or online, it does not really matter. I am only at the beginning of my project and I can't be searching for items that I do not know the real name of or that I cannot see a picture of to ensure I am ordering the correct item.

One more question, when I have been at an on-source (I do not know if I am able to say it by name) the criteria for searching does not have a 'C10'. The lady that I chatted with said that I should "probably" use the "C1" selection. Needless to say, that did not inspire a lot of confidence. Does this mean that it is a 'C' sub model? My research shows that a 'C' replaced the 'B' from '54-'56 (I think).

A lot of questions here. Anyone out there care to start helping a new-be at this?

Thank you

Post the info on the vin tag on the drivers door sill, including the series number. May stat with a B or C. A picture is the easiest.

And welcome to the site. 

Those spring hangers are available but not cheap! Check Roberts Motor Parts or Dodge central of Michigan. I don't think anyone has the front of the rear spring or the front spring ones. 

4 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Post the info on the vin tag on the drivers door sill, including the series number. May stat with a B or C. A picture is the easiest.

And welcome to the site. 

No luck. I looked all over the door, both sides, front and rear, the dashboard, everywhere... no vin #. The title has the vehicle identification # on it - 81480917, Inventory Control # - A7498767, and a title # - 02058230041. 

It has 6 lug split rims. I am not sure if I am responding correctly to everyone's suggestions. Is this how I am supposed to respond so my response appears below what I am responding to or is there another way to respond so it appears along with the suggestion?

Edited by Jeff Mead

10 hours ago, Jeff Mead said:

It has 6 lug split rims. I am not sure if I am responding correctly to everyone's suggestions. Is this how I am supposed to respond so my response appears below what I am responding to or is there another way to respond so it appears along with the suggestion?

Then it is a 1 ton model. They are not split rims, but rather lock ring rims, big difference between the two. 

I think this helps a lot. I have looked everywhere but cannot find a plate or anything. I know the engine has a T338 stamped on it and it is a flathead six. That all matches. I guess to move forward I need to find a parts manual. any suggestions as to where I can get one? I was going to attach some pictures but every time I try I get told that I can only upload 3mb. I get that with even just one picture at a time. Am I doing something wrong (again, I am new this forum). I am clicking on "choose files..." below and selecting 1 picture.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, lonejacklarry said:

The way you did it is fine.  Another way is to use the "quote" button.  That way you can edit what you want to keep and add a response.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, Saltrock said:

Keeping an eye on this thread. Where are the pics? 

okay, I am doing something wrong. I have some pics to post, but continually get an error message that they are too big. I am trying to post one at a time and they are just from my phone. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Merle Coggins said:

B-series have the S/N stapled into the frame behind the left front tire. I’m sure the C-series is similar 

I have looked everywhere on the frame and I have found nothing. It does need to be cleaned up a little bit, but I do not believe there is anything there.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, lonejacklarry said:

Did you look on the firewall?  Driver's side above the steering column.  There should be an oval plate screwed to the firewall with a lot of information.

There is the outline there of where a plate was. Very obvious. However, no plate.

Can you tell me how to post pics? I know it sounds dumb (on my part), but every time I try I get an error that says something along the line of "You cannot upload more than 3mb". I have been trying to do only one pic at a time and they are just taken from my phone.