B3B pressure brake bleed adaptor

TFC

Work continues on my 1952 B3B, when temps permit(cold spring - winter just won't let go here in Maine) ...  looking to rig up a pressure brake bleeder, having trouble figuring out what fitting I should replace the cap with on the master cylinder so I can attach a hose to the pressure tank.  Any advice much appreciated.

I went to Ace Hardware with my cap in hand. In their pipe fittings department I looked for a matching plug. Before I left I checked it's fit by finding a threaded cap my plug fit and made sure the one I was buying fit perfectly.  The first try at an auto parts store resulted in bringing home the wrong size.

At home I drilled it then tapped it with my cheap Harbor Freight tap & die set to be able to screw in a bleeder screw -  scavanged from my old wheel cylinder.

I think you could find a cap at the big box stores or an auto parts store, just bring yours for comparison so you get the correct diameter and thread count. I went with brass but feel other metals or even plastic would suffice.

Oh, get an O ring for the bleeder screw. It you have sealing problems, use plumbers thread tape; Teflon I think.

20180416_073807-800x450.jpg

A spare master cylinder cap would be ideal . You would need to plug the very tiny vent hole in the side of the cap and drill and tap for a fitting for the tube . On mine , I used the original master cylinder cap and left it this way because I hooked up a remote fill reservoir . I can now tell at a glance if the brake fluid is low  . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TFC said:

Thanks guys!!!  Really like the idea of the remote tank,  current set-up is hard to fill, impossible check the fluid level.

Their was a mopar factory option for a remote filler tank for the trucks. Rare and hard to find. 

Working on exactly what thread/size in used for this.  Got out my calipers and checked the plug/threads, 18 TPI and outer thread dia. is ~ .743.  Been poking around online and can find no pipe fittings etc. that come close to what is used.  Scratching my head here, can anyone inlighten me?   Thanks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TFC said:

Working on exactly what thread/size in used for this.  Got out my calipers and checked the plug/threads, 18 TPI and outer thread dia. is ~ .743.  Been poking around online and can find no pipe fittings etc. that come close to what is used.  Scratching my head here, can anyone inlighten me?   Thanks.

on the MC fill plug?  Pretty sure I just used as NPT fitting.  I'll look tonight (if I remember) tonight to see what I did.  I know I have a tube that goes thru the fitting so I don't have to siphon off fluid after filling.  Pictures tonight (I hope).

• 2 weeks later...