Jump to content
Ted Rihely

38 RC pickup, carb issue

Recommended Posts

My 38 pickup starts up easily. However, if it sits longer than 2 days it won’t start,and I have to prime the carb to get it running. Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got tired of this same situation and recently installed electric fuel pumps in all my old cars.  Works great !  No more hood opening and carb priming for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I can go a whole week before I have to prime. Resorted to keeping a small gas can handy, right next to the fire extinguisher :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if I can buy a 6 volt electric fuel pump?   

Edited by Iowaboy
Add comment. I didn’t have a problem finding a 6 volt fuel pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Reg. What kind of relay would I use to hook up this electric fuel pump on this 38 dodge pickup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Relays are used for things that draw a lot of amps like headlights or dual horns . You won't need a relay for the electric fuel pump . 

Thanks Jerry. Does it matter how I wire the fuel pump? Most of what I’m reading says it will pump in the correct direction no matter how it is wired up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I add Marvel Mystery Oil to my 87 octane unleaded with the ethanol to stabilize the fuel, keeping it from going stale and gumming up carburetors as well as reducing starter cranking times...recently, I revived my JD 425 from storage after not touching it for 4 months, had parked it in the barn with a season's dirt in the air filter and less than 1 gallon of treated gas in the tank...just like in years past, this year's first start took less than 5 seconds of cranking with full throttle and choke to awaken this li'l workhorse, and the engine ran very smooth after 3 seconds...in years before I switched to treated gas, first start was a curse-laden chore that involved removing the air filter and hitting the carb with starting fluid, resulting in the inevitable ear-ringing expletive-inducing backfire, and on one occasion, replacing the subsequent destroyed spark plugs...several neighbors have reported similar results since switching to treated gas, saying they don't have to work so hard since putting the red stuff in the tank...the last time I tore down a B&B carb, it was striking how clean the reservoir was and how little varnish had formed in the usual places after switching to treated gas...it seems like such a simple thing to do, but it does solve several problems, as advertised on the bottle :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rememner that you have positive ground on your car sothe positive wire on the pump willneed to be the actual ground wire and the negative wire ont he pump willbe your hot wire from you switch to turn onthe pump.

I have one on y 39 desoto to act a primer pump when the car has sat for a long time.  Good backup to the mechanical fuel pump.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

Relays are used for things that draw a lot of amps like headlights or dual horns . You won't need a relay for the electric fuel pump . 

 

Jerry is correct but some consider electric fuel pump relay as an effective theft prevention idea.  On my '37 Chevy i used a "cigarette lighter" in the console.  Upon entry, I had to push the lighter in to complete the circuit to the fuel pump.  All it took was a small refrigerator door plunger switch.  It will start without it but it runs about 10 seconds before it runs out of fuel.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 6:27 AM, JBNeal said:

I add Marvel Mystery Oil to my 87 octane unleaded with the ethanol to stabilize the fuel, keeping it from going stale and gumming up carburetors as well as reducing starter cranking times...recently, I revived my JD 425 from storage after not touching it for 4 months, had parked it in the barn with a season's dirt in the air filter and less than 1 gallon of treated gas in the tank...just like in years past, this year's first start took less than 5 seconds of cranking with full throttle and choke to awaken this li'l workhorse, and the engine ran very smooth after 3 seconds...in years before I switched to treated gas, first start was a curse-laden chore that involved removing the air filter and hitting the carb with starting fluid, resulting in the inevitable ear-ringing expletive-inducing backfire, and on one occasion, replacing the subsequent destroyed spark plugs...several neighbors have reported similar results since switching to treated gas, saying they don't have to work so hard since putting the red stuff in the tank...the last time I tore down a B&B carb, it was striking how clean the reservoir was and how little varnish had formed in the usual places after switching to treated gas...it seems like such a simple thing to do, but it does solve several problems, as advertised on the bottle :cool:

Amen!!!! MMO works and works well. I put about 4 oz. every other tank full on my daily driver 52 B-3-C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 8:19 AM, Reg Evans said:

I got tired of this same situation and recently installed electric fuel pumps in all my old cars.  Works great !  No more hood opening and carb priming for me.

Sorry Reg,but I am not tired with my original Carter fuel pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use