synchronized transmission for B1B question again

doogan

I don't want to keep asking the same question but I have read so many should, shouldn't, why, don't, try this, try that and am now quite confused.   There is no special reason other than I have replaced the stock 3 speed transmission in my A model with a 4 speed.   Operates great.    I would like the same setup in my B1B.   

Reason:    I will drive the A on an outing then next week go on an outing with the Dodge folks and half the trip I am trying to start off in reverse!!!!!    First for the A is where reverse is for the B1B.   What a surprise when starting off at a traffic light.   Not to mention the folks behind me!

Anyway, is there a 4 speed that will mount to the 49 B1B 218 bell housing with minimal modifications?   Yes I'm aware of the speedometer hookup as well as parking brake.   Is there a complete setup available from any vendors that cover the adaptor, clutch, pressure plate and transmission?     Or would someone tell me what trans, clutch, pressure plate and anything else needed to make this happen.

Again please excuse me if I keep asking but I just can't seem to get it clear in my head.

Don

You just need to drive the truck more to get the muscle memory working. :)

Over the years I've gone between vehicles "3 on the tree", various four and five speed floor mounted manual transmissions and, of course, automatic transmission vehicles. (the automatics even varied: Early Mopar push button, column mounted lever, center console control and even ones with a knob on the dash.) Seems like going back and forth hasn't been an issue in the vehicles I drive enough. Only times I've had the "oops, wrong gear" syndrome has been in rental cars where I didn't have enough road time to become familiar with it. Seems like just getting in the a car that I am familiar with automatically flips a switch with respect to my "muscle memory" and the shifts just happen. Going into my '33 that includes automatically double clutching without thinking about it.

I suspect that I am not much different from others with regard to how just getting into the driver's seat of a vehicle I'm familiar with gets my mind and reactions working for that vehicle. Location of ignition, location of transmission control/shifter, windshield wiper control, etc. So just get out and drive it more.

You'd really have trouble with my 23 dodge brothers roadster. Sort of a reversed "H" pattern.  First it left and up, reverse is left and back, second is right and down, third is right and up.

Doesn't  the 4 speed just bolt in where the 3 speed was?  Find a 4 speed from a B1B, just swap. Course, you might end up with an older one and have no synchro on anything!

Edited by austinsailor

If you can find a 4 speed from a '51-'53 B-series it should work well. You may need to drill and tap the mounting holes in your bell housing, but otherwise it should bolt up. And if you can find one that has all of the parking brake assembly installed you'll be good to go there too. You'll only have to modify your driveshaft as the u-joints changed, and of course it will need to be shorter.

A '48-'50 4 speed would work too, but the later ones have synchronized gears. The early ones are spur gear type.

Not sure if this would work for your year but my 4 speed in my 53 B4C is the same as used in the M37 military truck.  The casting number is C88221.  Here are pics of the transmission and the bell housing I am using with my 218.

bell housing front.gif

bell housing rear.gif

trans with paint and gaskets.gif

2 hours ago, austinsailor said:

They went from a Cleveland u joint to a more modern one in mid year of 49. Did they also go the synchro mid year, or not until '50? 

I'm not sure when they changed to the synchro 4 speed. My B2C, late '50 build, has the spur gear version. I have a synchro version out of a B3C, but I can't use it unless I find a FD input shaft for it.