Noises?

49wind

So,

Does a 1949 Chrysler windsor spitfire engine timing chain make noise?   I have no idea....i can only explain it as a noise that sounds like a chain on a chain saw. 

The timing chain normally never makes noise on a flathead engine.

1 minute ago, desoto1939 said:

if the chain has stretched it might be chain slop hitting the chain cover on the front of the engine block.

Rich Hartung

Is there anyway to test to verify?

Take a long (2 foo)t wood dowel or something equivalent ..put it against your ear and put the other end carefully to the areas you think the noise is coming from...

Let us know what you find..is coming from ....

I have had a couple of high mileage engines where the chain rattled against the cover.  Usually at idle speed.

I also had one which jumped a link but it did not make any noise !

4 hours ago, 49wind said:

Is there anyway to test to verify?

You can check a timing chain by rocking the crankshaft back and forth and watching the distributor rotor. Turn the crank by hand till the rotor starts turning then slowly turn the crank the other way. The amount you turn the crank before the rotor turns will give you an idea of how much slop is in the chain. 

The crank and cam are connected by the chain and the cam turns the distributor.  

• Like 2

There is a tube inside the timing gear cover that provides a drip of oil for the lower gear and the chain as it travels over the gear.  If the tube gets plugged, the chain could become dry and might have stretched but for it to hit the cover would mean it was hanging off the gears. Anything stuck in the cooling vanes of the generator? Is the fan hitting anything, is the belt coming apart?

Another thing I would do before removing the timing chain cover is to make sure that the crankshaft pulley and the balancer are tight. You can also remover the fan belt and run the engine momentarily and see if the noise stops. I have seen cases where the belt itself was the cause of a noticeable noise. Good luck to you.

John R

• Like 1