Oil pressure relief valve

MikeV

I have a 1952 Dodge 1/2 P/U with a 251 Cu flathead engine. I don’t have a oil filter on the engine. I have been told that the oil pressure relief valve only works if you have the optional oil filter attached to the engine. Is that true? I don’t know how the oil pressure relief valve works on these flathead engines.

Could anyone explain how it functions?

thanks!

Mike

Thanks Matt!

the oil pressure relief valve came as part of the engine and was designed to control the oil pressure in the block whether you have a oil filter on the engine or not. That’s the way I see it, but I could be wrong. I just don’t know enough about the oil pressure plumbing in this engine.

i removed the spring from the valve on the block and inspected it. The spring seemed to be easy to compress and weak,  so I plan to replace it.

it might even be the original spring!

Can  you control the engine oil pressure by changing springs? , I would think so, but there agin, I don’t know.

thanks for your comments!

mike

The by pass filter works in conjunction with the oil pressure relief valve.   You do not need a filter but the engine needs the relief valve or oil pressure will become excessive

( at least in an engine which is not worn out )   There is a very good Chrysler technical manual  featuring " Tech" from about 1950 explaining the difference between engine oiling systems

and is especially helpful in understanding the finer points of the Full Flow Filter system as used on the Chrysler six.