Steering Box Conversion

belvedere666

Is there a steering box conversion/swap or steering column/steering box combo that works for a P20?

Mine seems to be leaking. i could just get a rebuild kit, but if i could find one with a steering shaft that would fit a Grant adapter for an aftermarket steering wheel that would be an extra bonus score.

I just did a US Ebay search in the car Parts & Accessories under "1950 Plymouth Steering Box" and there was a rebuild kit for the 1942 to 1955 Plymouth steering Box consisting of the pitman shaft seal, both pitman shaft bushes and the worm upper & lower bearings and race for $100.00, plus another listing for the steering box isolator rubbers that go between the box and chassis and outside plate and chassis for $69.00..........both seemed like good value, especially the box rebuild kit........the seal in the kit looks like a neoprene seal, whereas the original seal is a leather one........if you take the id/od specs of the pitman shaft seal any competent bearing house should be able to have a neoprene seal anyway by itself.........BTW....I don't understand why you want a steering shaft.........the steering box will leak only from the pitman shaft seal or the shims/gasket area on the bottom of the box.........tho' I have heard of leaks coming from the tube that the horn wire goes into if the tube where it is crimped onto the bottom plate develops a leak or crack but that would be rare or I suppose if the steering box is overfilled with oil which is the wrong lubricant anyway but if overfilled the oil may travel up past the top of the tube and into it and run out............I'd get the rebuild kit if it was me...........andyd    

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

I just did a US Ebay search in the car Parts & Accessories under "1950 Plymouth Steering Box" and there was a rebuild kit for the 1942 to 1955 Plymouth steering Box consisting of the pitman shaft seal, both pitman shaft bushes and the worm upper & lower bearings and race for $100.00, plus another listing for the steering box isolator rubbers that go between the box and chassis and outside plate and chassis for $69.00..........both seemed like good value, especially the box rebuild kit........the seal in the kit looks like a neoprene seal, whereas the original seal is a leather one........if you take the id/od specs of the pitman shaft seal any competent bearing house should be able to have a neoprene seal anyway by itself.........BTW....I don't understand why you want a steering shaft.........the steering box will leak only from the pitman shaft seal or the shims/gasket area on the bottom of the box.........tho' I have heard of leaks coming from the tube that the horn wire goes into if the tube where it is crimped onto the bottom plate develops a leak or crack but that would be rare or I suppose if the steering box is overfilled with oil which is the wrong lubricant anyway but if overfilled the oil may travel up past the top of the tube and into it and run out............I'd get the rebuild kit if it was me...........andyd    

The  steering shaft would be so I can use an aftermarket steering wheel.

i found the exact listings you did before I asked. I think Bernbaum has the kit cheaper Than that in the website, or a similar price. I don’t mind rebuilding it or replacing the seal.

i posted another issue I was having a while back with my steering wheel being from an earlier car and not quite fitting up against the steering shaft tube. There’s about an inch gap. So if there’s a swap with the box and the  shaft, I figured it would solve two problems at once.