Fuel pressure

Ajgkirkwood

So when i bought my car from the owner before. They put in an electric fuel pump. They said the cam lob was warn down to use the manual pump? Anyways i think its supplying to much fuel pressure to my carb and makes my car run richer then it should. I waa wondering if a fuel line pressure reducer would work? I seen one from mr gasket that goes from 1 psi to 4 psi?

you think...then therefore you should get a gauge and verify....unless it is totally overpowering the needle within the seat and pushing the float down it is hardly likely it is the cause of your richness....your condition could well be a high float with modern fuel and warmer temp with expansion as the result of these factors, you may just be a victim of splash over further added to by sharp left and right turns and quick stops...could be a result of the G force on take off but will post that as a very remote possibility...

I think Plymouthy has the right answer, My 50 Plymouth was leaking gas from the carburetor after the car was shut off, I checked the float level, it was too high, and after resetting the float level no more leakdown.  Having said that an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is cheap insurance when swapping in an electric fuel pump.  I had to go to an aftermarket electric pump for my 1986 Nissan truck and wasn't sure what the pressure setting was.  I had some driveability problems until I installed an adjustable pressure regulator and set it to the specified pressure for the stock Nissan pump.

No downside to installing the regulator, they are inexpensive and easy to install and then you know what pressure you are sending to the needle valve.  But, also check the float level.

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

yes...but...if the cam surface has been worn to the point that there is no lift on the lobe as the man stated above, you dead in the water........

If and I mean if - the lobe for the fuel pump is so worn it won’t lever the fuel pump then he may have an oiling issue or need to remove and inspect the entire can shaft for wear. 

23 hours ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

So when i bought my car from the owner before. They put in an electric fuel pump. They said the cam lob was warn down to use the manual pump? Anyways i think its supplying to much fuel pressure to my carb and makes my car run richer then it should. I waa wondering if a fuel line pressure reducer would work? I seen one from mr gasket that goes from 1 psi to 4 psi?

Simple...Take off the air cleaner, do not start the engine, run the fuel pump and look down into the carb.  If gas is flowing, then there is too much pressure.  This is assuming the float is adjusted properly.  I like to go 1/8" lower then spec as that seems to work better with today's lousy gas.  Adjustable regulators that mount in front of the carb are available.  

No not necessarily an internal lube problem. It could well be an improper install. 

All fuel pump levers will show normal wear, but the steel on a cam shaft is harder than the steel on a fuel pump lever, the lever should wear out - or show much more damage on an improper install and quit working before the camshaft does. Unless normal wear and numerous fuel pumps have worn down the lobe, in which case the entire cam may be worn.

Anyhow my  point is I would be surprised if the lobe is worn out so much that it no longer actuated the fuel pump. Unless the entire cam has reached that point. 

So before I really listened to someone telling me that I would check myself. You can do so  by putting a fuel pump on and see what happens.

I'll bet it pumps fuel. If it does not and the front lobe does appear to be damaged then I would pull the cam shaft for further inspection.

I would agree the cause of the over rich fuel mixture is probably in the carburetor.