Front main cap seal?

• 2 months later...

Underneath the front main cap are two groves that come out at an angle.The o-ring is just the size to fill those groves and act as an oil seal at the point where the cap meets the block. You would have to remove the front main cap to get to it. If you do not plan to remove the front main cap  and are sure that the ones you have are not leaking, then you won't use it. 

31 minutes ago, johnsartain said:

Underneath the front main cap are two groves that come out at an angle.The o-ring is just the size to fill those groves and act as an oil seal at the point where the cap meets the block. You would have to remove the front main cap to get to it. If you do not plan to remove the front main cap  and are sure that the ones you have are not leaking, then you won't use it. 

Im not sure if the old ones leak or not, but the engines back in the truck now so I guess we’ll find out haha

1 hour ago, johnsartain said:

How can I tell if they do leak once the engine is running? I haven’t started the engine yet since the rebuild.

26 minutes ago, johnsartain said:

I guess thats the thing. If you take it apart, replace them, and re-torque the main cap

Well hopefully there’s no issues because I really don’t want to take it back apart 

• 6 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 1:24 PM, johnsartain said:

Well I had to take the engine back apart and to a machine shop for other issues, and ive got all the caps off right now, but I don’t see any grooves in the front main seal, it’s totally flat on the bottom and where is goes on the engine. So do I still need to use that o ring?

The two grooves using the rubber 1" long are in the bottom of the aluminum oil plan to block seal plate...

Oil Pan to block Yoke Adapter.jpg

• Like 2